Has anyone heard of a dislocated hyoid bone?????
Please, please give me some direction to head in with this!!!  My 17 yr. old son complained of pain in his neck a couple of months after he flipped over a car.  he had knee injuries as well.  the orthopedic took an xray of his neck and said he was ok.
About 10 months later my son complained that while at his bus stop something popped in his throat and he couldn't breath for a minute and was forced to place pressure on it to pop it back in.  I found it very odd and kind of brushed it off and said you're ok now so.  Then a couple of months later it happened again.  His pediatrician sent us to an Endoconologist.  He had no answer and told us to see an ENT.  We saw the ENT, he stuck a scope up through his nose and down to the throat and said he saw nothing.  He sent him for a cat scan, which came back negative, so he brushed it off.  We went to another ENT who also saw nothing and brushed it off as well.  
This past week my son had his 3rd popping incident and this time the condition became cronic.  Every time he turns his head this thing pops in his throat and it is very painful and scarry.  I rushed him in to the 2nd ENT.  This time the Dr, witnessed the popping for himself.  He believes the hyoid bone is dislocating and rubbing into the cartilige of the thyroid.  
We are waiting on an auth. for an MRI.  THE PROBLEM IS AND QUESTION:

THE ENT SAID HE NEVER SAW THIS BEFORE AND SAID HE DOES NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT????
IN THE MEANTIME HE INSTRUCTED MY SON TO WEAR A NECKBRACE TO STOP HIM FROM TURNING HIS NECK!!!  
DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE IN THIS AREA???

I am currently talking with my ENT doctor about Resuspending my hyoid bone. He took my CT scan and said that he would email me if he could do the surgery. So, I am waiting for his answer.

Anyway, the bottom line is that
"DO NOT excise or remove your hyoid bone."
Hyoid bone is ESSENTIAL for normal body function, such as breathing, swallowing, speaking, and total balance of the body.
I assure the you guys also have the feeling of unbalance for the neck and face; suppose that you cut the portion of your hyoid bone.
It would worsen the feeling of unbalance and the other symptoms.
That is, RESUSPENDING or RECONSTRUCTING the dislocated bone is the only way to fix this problem. I am waiting for my doctor's answer.
So, once again, "DO NOT listen to any doctor who insist that he or she should cut the dislocated bone. DO NOT !!!!!
I really hope and pray that this post would help you guys.

P.S: my ENT physician is Dr. Robert Ward. He is at Cornell University.
       Even if he is at Pediatrician Department, he deals with the hyoid        bone dislocation. So, if it is hard for you guys to wait for my result, you could try to contact him by yourselves.
Thank you very much my ENT said to cut it out if it keeps happening but I was unsure..
Hi name is Janet and I'm 21 years old with two beautiful babies. Last year I went though thyroid surgery on my left side of my thyroid because of a tumor that became cancer. But while I had the tumor my neck bone felt it moved to my right side of my neck so what i did was to pop it back and it hurt so much. After surgery  a few weeks it didnt pop anymore but  e
Hi name is Janet and I'm 21 years old with two beautiful babies. Last year I went though thyroid surgery on my left side of my thyroid because of a tumor that became cancer. But while I had the tumor my neck bone felt it moved to my right side of my neck so what i did was to pop it back and it hurt so much. After surgery  and radiation a few weeks it didnt pop anymore but  while taking a shower I was wiping my neck and noticed my neck bone on my right side and so I did was to POP it back and so i told my Dr's but they said I was fine also. They did x- rays, ct scans, ext. But they told me am fine. Am really scared that I dnt might die from this or go through surgery again. Please does any one know what i have?? This popping thing happens every day every 5 mins. My Dr's think am fine but I dnt feel fine. Am super scared to tell even my family because they freak out easy plus I'm the bby in the family so they will. I dnt know what to do or go too.
I wanted to share you my story it might help some of you out there specially the lady with the 17 year old. My 11 year old daughter developed this condition suddenly out of the nothing. She does have a medical background of facial paralysis which she was born with it. Suddenly 8 weeks ago she was walking in school and felt something pop out from her throat and she says she tilted her head slightly and it popped back in place. 5 minutes after is popped back out and she tried to move her head and it happened again it clicked in place. By the time she got home she told me about it and said the popping was ocurring every 30 seconds and it was starting to hurt and bother alot. I asked her to call me when she had the popping sensation so she did. She stayed still until I could touch her and I felt it myself. Considering her history of facial paralysis I ran to the ER. They had no idea and said had never seen anything like it. Referred to an urgent visit to the ENT Specialist next day in the morning. The ENT Felt the popping himself and said had never seen anything like it and he sent an urgent CT-SCAN and scoped her right there. He said the scope looked normal , no life threatening condition and her airway was open. He did mention he thought it was the hyoid bone clicking against Adamas apple also called Thyroid Cartilage. Ok Ct-Scan results comes back saying her Hyoid is dislocated.

The Ent that saw her said it must of been because the facial paralysis. He said all those years of weakness of the neck  muscles attached to the hyoid made it move out of place. The funny thing is that he says do not worry it is not life threatening for now and I do not think it will move out of place any longer. We could try to send her to PT to see if it helps because I believe she is to small for surgery and I have not operated the hyoid bone before. Then he mentions what about a neck brace. At this point I thought wow I am in the wrong hands this Doctor has no idea what he is talking about. I started my research and found this forum. I contacted the office of Dr. Berke in LA  the best ENT in the country for hyoid bone surgery. They told me to send a copy of the CT-SCAN , I think they were moved because I told him it was a child with facial paralysis and added to that she had the hyoid problem. They call me immediately once the CT arrives at UCLA. Some other ENT calls and says DR. Berke needs to see my daughter and we must travel to LA. he said the hyoid looked twisted and he thought she was to small for surgery and he would rather if she could wait to grow more but in order for him to be sure she is going to be able to wait he needed to examine her. I was ready to schedule our appointment when they found out I had medicaid and said my daughter could not be seen even if we would pay . It was illegal to accept money from us being medicaid clients. They then told me they would refer me to DR. Denish Chhitry also from UCLA and colleague of Berke and he knew as much as Dr. Berke. The difference with the second one is that he not only worked for UCLA but also for Olive View State Hospital of LA, CA. He would be able to see me at that hospital.

At that point I left that call pending because even if I could get to travel to LA on my own if she needed surgery Medicaid would not pay my daughters surgery if it is not a medicaid provider. I would have to prove there is no one in the country that could do it. By the way I live in SC. Then I found that DR. Robin Cotton from Cincinnatti Sick Children Hospital was the best in the country for airway reconstruction. I contacted them and told them the whole story. In the mean time I went to my local pediatrician and told him what was going on. He said well let me give you my advice: I will refer you to Charleston SC so you can see Dr. David White he is a Pediatric  ENT and the best of the carolinas and if he can not do anything for you no one can in the carolinas. He said my advice is to go 1st to him so you can prove medicaid that you have tried with everyone and there is no one here that can do the surgery and you need to be transfered out of state for the treatment.

I started my research , who is David White? I Found he was trained at the Cincinnati Sick Children under the direction of Robin Cotton. I could not believe it and jumped in one foot. I left the appointment of Cincinnati also on stand by because I thought if this Doc knows everything Robin Cotton knows why I am going to want to travel to Cincinnati to a place they will probably not take my medicaid and I am going to have to pay for the appointment God knows how much.

Finally I went to DR. White last week. But before I tell you all what he said I started with  chiropractic for her. This Chiropractic Dr is the most honest man on earth. He said I do not know if I will be able to help and I want to do her an 8 week trial of treatment  free of charge and this all goes on me. If it helps alleluya and if not at least we tried. We are on week 3 and it has not helped at all. Her condition is getting worse every day to the point I am going to have to home school her for the remaining of the school year.She is in alot of pain where the adams apple is. Her neck muscles are getting fatigued of the popping and unpopping she has every 30 seconds. One of the reasons is that she unpops it stretching her jaw forward or trying to smile putting pressure on her neck muscles. Doing this every 30 sec has left her fatigued. The bone is constantly bumping against other structures in there also that makes it hurt more.

I started at home on my own  putting her electric stimulation on her throat with a decive called TENS. I was hoping the pain could go away and would strenghten the neck muscles and maybe put the hyoid back in place. Well this last attempt has not helped either.So Dr. White said he had 3 options and all are surgery. Number one was take part of the hyoid the middle section. Second option all the hyoid bone out or 3rd to suspend the hyoid bone which is more a surgery for people with sleep apnea. Then he said I think this last procedure of the suspension would bring her swallowing problems because it would  bring her hyoid bone forward that leaves us with the first 2 options he said. He mentioned that getting only one part of the hyoid was an easier procedure but what if that was not enough? He would then would have to operate a second time to get the rest of it out.He said well if we are already in there why not take it all out and we will not have the doubt after.

He said he does the hyoid bone procedure 1-2 per month but not for that reason by daughter has. He did say he had never seen any one like this and with the clicking every 30 secs. He said the reason he does surgery is because the children born with a cyst called thyroglossal duct Cyst needs to remove the cyst and the hyoid bone ( the middle section). He said the surgery has 5 points of difficulty from 1-10, he said a tonsillectomy for example has 1-2 points.He said it is not the most difficult surgery and not the most easiest either. He said they would do it at the MUSC Children Hospital of Charleston. He said if we would live near he would release her the same day but since we would be 4 hours away he would leave her overnight. He said his only concern is that she has a history of swallowing problems as a child and he thinks she could have swallowing problems after surgery. He said I think she would catch up with the other kids and it would be a matter of just weeks for her to catch up with the swallowing but I am not sure. He said if she would not have facial paralysis and would of not have the swallowing history she would be ok  without the bone. He said that bone is like the appendix you do not really need it.

.
This text is the continuation of the last reply i did about my 11 year old daughter with facial paralysis that ended up having a dislocated bone and now she is going to have a removal of the hyoid bone. Just read the previous thread before reading this.

I mentioned to Dr. White then about Dr. Berke at the end and he said Oh yes I know Berky but even if he is the best in the country for hyoid bone he is not a pedicatric ENT and has no experience with children. At that point he left me thinking and made me realize that my daughter needs to be operated by a pediatric ENT and not only by the best in the country.It made me realize also why the 1st dr. we saw had no idea how to operate the hyoid bone and why most ENT are not familar with the hyoid bone/ The answer is easy. They are not familar because it is so rare that an adult develops something in the hyoid so they never perform surgeries on them. By the otherside children are born with that cyst which is like a tumor and doctors are forced to learn about the anatomy of muscles, ligaments and everything attached to the hyoid and over time the pediatric ENT have learned very well how to operate them.

My advice is  that if you have gone to several Ent and they are not familar try visiting a Pediatric ENT but a good one in you area which does the cyst surgery I have mentioned. Those people know exactly what you will be talking about when you mention the click and pop thing. There is no neck brace that will help it for sure, and there is no need of a trauma for you to get a dislocated hyoid bone. I have received the attention because they saw my daughter would not make up a story like this, because they heard and felt the popping themselfs, the story of facial paralysis and so on. If she would of been an adult and with no pre-existing condition they would have probably said it was on her mind , she has anxiety  because that is what docs say when  can find a cause. So dont give up and keep looking for help. An another advice is before going to surgery always think in benefits vs risk. Is the benefit more than the risk? There is no need for someone to stay like that for life living in agony, pain anxiety.

There is risks in everything in life. It all depends how often you have a clicking sensation and how much it hurts. To be honest if my daughter had the popping out just 3 times a day I would not risk her life with this surgery. But she has it every 30 secs for a total of 120 times in 1 hour. Can you imagine how frustrating?We are Christians and always put are faith 1st and give also time for God to work but God also gave Doctors the knowledge to do things. You never  will see a child with Down Syndrome get cured in the way his facial appearance dissapears  even if you pray day and night he will always have his little fragile face of down. But what God can do is probably get him to be very smart, independent, be able to work and attend himself and how? With the Therapist and Doctors with knowledge that will help him have a better quality of life. My husband a few days ago told me honey shouldnt we wait a little bit more before surgery to se if God responds in a way? I said he already did honey getting us someone who will receive our medicaid, that lives near us willing to do the surgery and that knows what he is talking about. I told him honey I feel against a wall with a sword pointing at me, our child is in agony now and we can not leave her like that. If God would not want the surgery for her why is it she is worse every day? I do not want to be a preacher but God has his ways to show you if that is going to be fixed on its own in type of a miracle or if you are going to stay like that. He also puts people here on earth to help. I have read many people saying on other forums do not take your Hyoid Bone you will not be able to speak again or swallow and puts them in fear to go ahead. By experience I can tell you some people do not know what they are talking about. That is something a PT not even a Chiropractic doc can tell you. They do not even know how to read a Ct. Scan. And there is a chance with the swallowing problem but I have read many forums before posting here of people with complete removal of the hyoid saying they are fine.
Wow, that is the exact problem I have! I actually experienced my worst episode last night and went to the er, by the time I got there and was waiting, it resolved itself. But it took 2 1/2 hours before it got to where I could swallow and talk. The worst pain too! (and I gave birth to two 9 pound babies) I can't find much out about this, I have an appointment monday, but don't know how it's going to go. Is there anything I should be educated with  before hand? And how did your son end up with this? Resolved, or no? Thanks so much!
Wow. I can't believe I'm not the only one, I thought i was unaided on this. All that has been posted on this thread is exactly what is happening to me. Except, this only happens to me when I'm lied down. My throat or hyoid bone (I think) gets dislocated, and I have learned popping it back makes it normal again. I'm not sure what it is, but something in my throat (or maybe its the ligaments or the bone) pops out when my neck is turned in the opposition direction. It sometimes happens when my neck is in a strange position. Every time this happens, I have to sit up, and pop it back in place. I know whenever it comes... and I'm like "oh no, not again." It is a weird, foreign, discomforting feeling, but I don't know what to do. If I swallow, the pain grows and is excrutiating, so I have to QUICKLY push it back, so the pain doesn't grow. When i turn my head in the direction of the pain, it makes it worse. The "dislocation" is also on the right side of my neck. I don't recall an accident or anything else that might have triggered this occurrence. This also happens when I yawn. Might I add, Im a 16 year old female (turning 17 soon), and this has been going on for about less than a year. I haven't really thought about it till now, about the dangers it may bring if I don't pop it back, or the dangers it might cause if it were to happen to me in my sleep, or at old age, when I won't have "energy" or "strength" to sit up from my lying position and pop it back, because I don't know what would happen if I don't pop it back. I know the pain gets worse, I can't swallow, etc. This is when it gets me worried, but thank you to ALL the people who have posted on this thread, I am doing a lot of research, and will be notifying my doctor. Thank you. I will post back if i find anything more.
Looking to see if anyone has experienced the same problem as I do. 4 months ago I woke up with a striking pain in the throat (left side of Adams apple) it was so bad I couldn't go back to sleep. The pain cleared up, but now I get this weird click in the same area after I yawn. It feels like a bone or tendon get stuck and click right back to place after I move my head around. I've had a barium swallow, thyroid ultra sound and a blood test done, and nothing showed up. The click does not hurt but just annoying, and even worse the fear of cancer as I've been a half a pack a day smoker for 15 years. I went to see a different doctor which was really interested in this symptom, he said that the tendons became loose on the hyoid bone, and thatthis is just a abnormality and  i'm currently on antiinflammatories and i might just have to just get used to it. I did not have any neck trauma prior to this but I do recall having a severe sinus infection prior to this. Just looking to see if anyone else is experiencing this.
i have the same problem as you do, i noticed you posted this in 09, any new updates on this?
I too have this annoying clicking after time I swallow. I first developed it after going to my doctor and he prescribed me a beta blocker for my heart palpations which found out it was because of my low thyroid. At the same time,I went to a Gi specialist because of the clicking and trouble swallowing. I ended up being put on an antacid pill which cured my pain from the poping in throat but my my popping still remains. My popping happens every sec that I try to do dry swallows not so much with food or drinks. I saw an Ent specialist and he went down my throat and didn't see anything or feel anything on my throat. I'm going to get a CT scan tomorrow.Praying everything will be ok and they can figure out what's wrong and how to fix it. Everyone on here talks about poping the hyoid bone into place. How exactly do I do that? All I feel is the vibration of the popping but don't feel anything else.
Did your ct scan show anything?
No my ct scan came back clear.The doctor said the only thing that would make sense is it being my hyoid bone.He wants me to wait until March and see if it goes away. He said I would have to decide if I wanted him to do surgery which he said could present complications. So I have to decide to live with the feeling of swallowing a rock or take a risk :( My husband found some exercises online that stetch out the muscles that are connected to the hyoid bone. He was thinking maybe they were pulling on my muscles which is the problems. This all began because of acid reflex and had to get my throat stretched.So my husband thought maybe from my throat closing up,it could have pulled something out of place.I just hope the exercises work cause I don't know if I can live with this the rest of my life but I'm too afraid to get surgery done too.
I am experiencing a similar issue, i have a click in my throat everytime i yawn. It feels like a bone gets dislodged after the yawn and I have to swallow to get it to click back into place, very uncomfortable. I believe its my hyoid rubbing against cartilage. Globus Pharyngeus is what we all may be experiencing, which can be caused by stress. Im waiting on a call from an ENT  for an appointment to see whats the deal. If I were you I would hold out on the surgery, i think the hypochondria we are all experiencing is also a root cause to all this, as stress levels do cause inflammation in the thyroid, hence the rubbing against something, hence the click in the throat. Stay strong and healthy!
Well I guess we are all out of luck. People think we are crazy. It first happened to me (that I can remember) when I was 11 going to see Batman and Robin in theatres. Bulge popping out of my neck while I was yawning. I couldn't even ask for help in the back of the car because it hurt so bad. Obviously I wasn't working out at the time. It must have to do with genetics to some degree.This has happened at least 10 times in my life now being 26 years of age. I hate that no one has a f' ing reason or solution. If our PhD's will not figure it out for us we have nothing to lose coming together for a solution.
-***@****
This is fascinating. When I met my future husband in 1993- he was 28- he had endured this condition for years. I  am a PA, and to me it sounded like a dislocation of cartilage. He is 6'5' with a thin body habitus and long neck and I thought this could be related. (I even considered Marfan like symptoms)  During my training I ran it by several ENTs. None had any idea of this condition. My husband would feel a pain, a disconcerting sense of panic, and then readjust the cartilage. This condition he experience for approximately 15 years, then it stopped.  Last night, our 16 year old son told us he had been having a pain and needs to "readjust" the the bones? cartilage? in his neck. We had never mentioned his dad's experience with this to him, so he had no idea that his dad had the same problem years ago.  Now I am certain there is a congenital component. Perhaps a congenital elongation of the cornu cartilage? Have studies been done on this?
I was so thankful to find this trail.   After a horrific experience last night I searched "dislocated throat", "dislocated esophogus" and "dislocated trachea" - finally figuring out my hyoid was the problem!  I want to describe my experience so that others may find comfort in knowing they are not alone - as I did.   I was lying on my back in bed with my husband sitting up against the headboard next to me - on my right.   I was actually chewing a melatonin so I could fall asleep easily.  (Yeah - right)  While still lying on my bck - I looked up and to the right at myhusband and swallowed.   Wow!  Something popped and I had no idea what had happened.  It felt like my throat was out of place and all the muscles on the left side of my neck were tense.   I sat up - ended up on my knees on the floor and stupidly thought that swallowing again might straighten things out.  Wow!  That is a whole lot of pain!!  My husband had no clue what to do - but as I could breathe (He asked several times) - he stood awaiting instructions.   Having no clue what was happening - I mostly felt like I needed to relax my neck to get whatever was out of place back in place.   I tried a warm cloth (delivered by my husband) and a microwave warmed neck wrap (what a prince).   I can't say these were the solution - but after trying several positions (sitting up -not good, right side - not good, left side - not good - back flat on my back - tolerable) I jut rested - did my Lamaz breathing - kicked my feet like crazy whenever I had to swallow the inordinate amount of saliva bulding up in my mouth  (swallowing NOT GOOD).  With intense massage by me from my temples, down through my jaw and gentle but firm pressure on my neck, things started to relax and finally the pain resolved enough for me to fall alseep.  I never felt anything "pop" back in - but I was able to rest.   This chain was a huge relief to me and the prince to know that while I am still a lemon overall - I am not the only one who has experienced this.  My big fear now is that it will someday happen again.   Not saying anything specific about the article - but this posting has an awesome picture of where all the pain was connected to the hyoid bone being out of place - temples, jaw, shoulders - OUCH!  http://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/pain/maxillofacial/hyoid-bone-syndrome
Hi, I have been experiencing a very similar thing with my throat. It started at 10 years ago but happens so infrequently that I didn't bother having it checked out. Through the years though it started happening more and often. I asked my doctor about it. She didn't even bother to look or examine my neck. Just this weekend I developed a cold with a bad chest cough and now every time I cough it feels like something in my neck is poping out and I push it back in place. However the pushing it back is getting harder to do. I went to an urgent care centre for this, the first doctor said that it is just swollen nodes in my neck and told me that it is impossible for anything in my neck to move in the way i was describing it. She became irrate that i insisted there was a problem. she that she knows better because has been a doctor for 30 years. I asked to see another doctor, one that was willing to feel my neck when it happened. Another doctor came and felt my neck and said that he thinks it is my hyoid bone and so wants me to get an ultrasound and see my doctor for the results.
Dae
Hi, I have a similar problem that ocurrs when I yawn; my throat pops out and is EXTREMELY painful. Sometimes I can push it back into place, other times it has to slide in on its own. I cannot swallow when it is out as it hurts even worse. Fortunately, if I do not yawn, it does not pop out.
I have mentioned it to my doctor who thinks I am crazy, and therefore have not had any tests. It has been witnessed by my sister who said she could physically see my throat off to the side. I am lucky that it doesn't last more than 1-2 minutes. So happy to find this thread!! Please keep me posted in regards to your son. I know how bad it hurts & can't imagine it happening as often as it does to him!! Poor kid. Best of luck with a treatment.
Tara
Hi, I've had this condition for 20 years and it can be very distressing and very painful. I get the dislocation if I yawn really hard and the only thing I can do is to push the lump that comes out back in again. I'm so scarred of this happening that every time I feel a yawn coming I put my head down and try not to stretch my neck too much. This seems to stop it dislocating. I've never had any injury to my neck so I'm not sure why this started. I do have quite a long neck. I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one with this condition too, but feel sorry for the other people who suffer with this. Massaging the area after this has happened seems to give some relief to the soreness felt after, but the soreness lasts for a few days.
This happened to me in the past but was only one off and then got peace for months. In the last few days it happened to me on a daily basis whenever I yawned with my head turned left. I work now in front of two screens and often turn me head. This pain is excruciating and the feeling of panic that I can't breath doesn't help. Obviously doctors don't have a clue what that it, so would be grateful if you could advise in regards to how to deal with this.
This happens to me. I push it back in. It only happens when I'm lying down and yawning. It's horrible.

When I bring it up to a doctor, they say they've never heard of anything like it. One prescribed me muscle relaxers. Didn't do anything.
This is so weird SO many people have this problem! I recently started getting it when I yawn. Only sometimes though like if im laying down. I yawn but then when I go to swallow it hurts and feels like my throat is out of place. I press on the side of the throat... it pops a little and goes away! what the hell is it!? lol I hate it
I've also had this problem myself.
It feels like the bone in my neck (my hyoid) is moving around pretty much every day, and if I lay the wrong way it will actually pop and move and cause excruciating pain.
I went to my doctor and after similar rounds of tests, he told me that the most likely cause of this is that my hyoid bone was actually ASYMMETRICAL (meaning not equal on both sides). So instead of being shaped like a horseshoe, which is normal, mine was either more like a fishhook, or that perhaps it was more of a bent horseshoe, which caused it to move differently in my neck.
I was told it was not serious, unless it moves majorly and makes contact with something else in my throat.
The best thing I've found to do is simply move it around occasionally with my fingers/hand. I have to do it myself though, because no one else knows what it feels like when it moves. Tell your son to grab his neck as though he were choking, or trying to strangle himself (sorry), but with his fingers closer to the front of his throat where the bone is. Squeeze GENTLY, and rock his hand back and forth, like you would if you were moving something across a table using only your wrist (like sliding a soda can closer to you so your cat doesn't knock it over).
It's sometimes scary, and very painful, when my hyoid moves on its own.  This is NOT medically given advice, just what I've found that works. It seems to stop the bone from moving around on its own as much.
Just tell your son to keep calm about it, and NEVER swallow frequently or forcefully when he feels the bone has moved (it will HURT and potentially cause the bone to strike something else).
HAS ANYONE ELSE ENCOUNTERED SOME PROBLEM WITH THEIR VOICE…PAIN WHEN TALKING?
Hello I'm 51 and live in Quebec Canada. I have been in pain for 4 years now feeling a horrible lump in my throat! I have almost lost the ability to talk ...each sentence gets me in more and more pain.
Also moving my head in any directions, swallowing, bumps and twists when driving my car or when I walk brings much discomfort. My social life and activities are down to zero.
The lost of my ability to talk is what has been the most difficult part of it all. One cannot imagine the damage it does to one's life…we are communicating being I have learned that!!!
I have seen many specialists with no luck like most of you and have been told to learn to live with it. Not much of a life compared to what I was used to.
Here is how it happened …I started some singing lessons, over trained once and felt some tension…I tried to relief the tension by forcing a yawn with may head pulled backwards.
I felt a violent pain like if someone had punched me in the neck. I don't remember a clicking sound ...and it seems it never really came back in place.
Lately I started stretching and moving the hyoid bone, thyroid cartilage and cricoid cartilage from right to left up and down and have started to talk with more ease.
YES....man, I'm so glad I stumbled upon this article. This has been an intermittent problem for several years. I've tried all kinds of moves to place what I thought was a ligament back to the correct side as it finds the way painfully stretched over my voice box; turned to the side and manipulated gently with a finger tip, head raised to to ceiling (pop) but the simplest so far...tuck my chin down to my shoulder bone without exerting much force. Try to relax. (I know, I know...) The problem self-corrects and I am left with only the temporary residual soreness everyone here is probably familiar with.

Now I finally know WHAT is going on when this happens, have always been mystified as to how it is I could be yawning incorrectly...
Dont trust the radiologists!    I was in a car accident 6 month ago and got my MR images.   About a month ago I was stunned to see bone shards in my left shoulder MRI.  

I went to look at brachial plexus MRI and was stunned to see the shards in my throat.    

I had gone to ENT two months ago and explained I had a fractured submandiular salivary gland as when I eat or brush teeth since the accident my gland swells.  He said it had to have been peirced with bullet and is a rare injury unrelated to car accident.   He put scope down my throat and saw nothing.  duh the bones were on the outside of my throat.  Guess what ENT?  it was bone shards which peirced it.  

I'm so dumbfounded as I went for CT scan last week with specific instructions for protocol to get clearest images for my own software.   They ignored my written orders on consent form as as a result they took thicker slices with gaps.   Make a long story short there are bones from I think my first ribs in my throat, as well as little shards of bone.  

So if anyone knows a good surgeon in NYC please let me know.  This bone business in my throat is driving me crazy.  I don't even want to look at my hyoid bone in my CT scan images as every time I look at the images, I see more and more of what the radiologists missed 6 months ago, fractured arms broken vertebra,, etc

Whenever you get scanned for MR or CT  make sure you get thin slices and write down gapless on your consent form.  There are great programs out there, like OSIRIX which runs on mac platform.   Review your own images.

The CT place reconstructed my images into blurrier images.  Now its a battle as I revoked my assignment of benefits and refuse their radiologist look at my images until and unless they give me the thinnest axial images which are gapless.   They are not permitted to put reconstructions of my images in my health records because those reconstructs only serve to help them get away with vague, inconclusive, and erroneous reports.

Best of luck to everyone and supervise the radiologists yourself with your own images and viewing software
Hello everyone, so thankful for all your posts!!!
I had a visit to the ER because of this problem I was unable to push it back this time. I ended up staying all night @ the ER with doctors that had no clue, they ended up giving me a lot of pain medication including valium and morphine. After a ct scan without results they gave me more pain medication and told me to try to sleep it off. My husband explaint to them that it happened to me before but this time I was unable to push it back. Eventually I was able to sleep and it finally went away. A day and a half later I am extremely sore with all the previously mentioned symptoms and pain. They never heard of this condition before.  If anybody knows a good specialist in North Carolina, that has experience with this problem, please let me know. Thank you for all your posts and helpful tips.
I am afraid to go to the doctor because i can easily move mine to the left and right, and it gets stuck, i get giddy, then really queazy.  If the doctor does this to me, and he moves it too far to a place i never took it, i am afraid what will happen - i might cry in pain.  I go to the chiropractor for back and neck adjustments, and 90% of the time, it moves a little, and i loose my breath.  When i jump up and reposition my neck, i can breath again.
I also have had this problem for over ten years.
I do not believe it was in part due to an accident related to my throat.
I saw a enco..endo... throat specialist/plastic surgeon dude who just quickly stuck a camera in my nose and down my throat and similarly told me there was nothing out of order, and that my cartiledge was just large and my adam's apple is large (it is pretty big) and that sometimes when I yawn, the two get stuck together and I need to pop it out of place using my finger or something... which is painful. So... try not to yawn? Yeah... thanks for the ****** advice doc.

Anyhow, now I am noticing that my adams apple itself and the area underneath it where my throat turns into my chest are very very sensitive to the touch, and after having taken a job at a call center where I talk all day I definitely notice a lot more soreness in general on the throat. It's only about a 1 out of ten on the pain scale when I touch my neck, but I would love to have a resolution to this issue at some point in my life and hopefully not watch it worsen over the years or potentially die from it. If anyone has any advice on how I should proceed please do not hesitate to email me at polo.***@**** as I would appreciate the effort extremely.

Hi All

Like everyone here i am so glad i found this thread
I have been suffering with the sensation of a lump in my throat and it feels like something is pushing into my throat from the right .inside  . .
I have had quite a few cameras up my nose and down my throat.
At first i was told all is ok, then that my right tonsil was inflamed and had to be removed. Had afew cameras after that to be told i had swollen glands
Gradually this feeling has got worse so i did some investigating and found that it is my Thyroid bone or cartillage
I am going to go back and see the consultant with all your info and see where it gets me .
I can actually put my finger down inside my mouth and feel the thyroid cartilage has moved forward. i also now have a lot of small lumps on the back of my tounge were it drops down the throat
Any advice on this would be much appreciated.
I have had this happen a few times a year since the late 90s, the first time it happened was the worst as I had no experience on how to pop it back in place. I ended up not being able to swallow at all until it was back as it felt like a skewer poking my throat if I did. I just drooled until it went back in.
Nowadays if it happens I just stretch my head back and yawn, turn my head side to side and massage it back in place. I had never bothered to google this before so thanks to all the folks who posted their comments so perhaps the medical community will be more aware of this condition.
My symptoms are all the same the only thing different is I did break my hyoid bone in a car accident when my neck hit the steering wheel the ent said what was happening was the hyoid bone was catching on the larynx.
I've had this same problem for the last 2 years or so. It has only happened 4 or 5 times but I never thought it odd until my girlfriend was there when it happened (30 minutes ago) and told me that it was weird haha.

It usually happens when I'm half lying down with my chin pointed towards my chest, and I can relieve the pain almost immediately by tilting my head backwards until if pops back into place. Fortunately, it 'snaps' back in to place and the pain is gone. It's truly bizzare but I think I'll live with it, provided that it doesn't get worse.
I have had this problem for last three years, unfortunately i don't remember exact day when it started but when i swallow, something on hyoid bone level clicks in throat, you can feel it with finger too if you touch my thyroid cartilage . it has also affected my speaking and especially singing voice, resonance is somewhat distorted. I have seen 8 different ENTs and non of them have any idea what could be causing this. Do you guys also get voice problems from this throat clicking? or any other difficulties.
I looked this up today, because after a car accident where I flipped about 5-6 times, I have had this popping of something in my throat, to the point where it is soo painful to swallow.  It takes a bit of time and believe me it is scary when in happens, but if I try to swallow real hard, it will pop back into place.  I am concerned that the seatbelt may have damaged something in my throat, but not sure if I should have it looked at?  My wreck was about 4 years ago, and this has happen about 5 times.  I fear when it does because of the pain swallowing and fear of not being able to get it back in place.  This happened last night, and today I feel like it bruised on the left where it happened.  I don't know what causes it, but I can feel it slipping when it does go, and mine goes inward towards my throat, until I can swallow to pop it back in.  
I believe this happens to me as well, I'm 19 and I havr Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (The hypermobility type, often called type III.) This is a genetic,  connective tissue disorder, and one of the main symptoms of it is joiht pain and muscle pain all over the body and dislocations, and subluxations. Please, if you are reading this, go online and get the information about this disease.  For me it was the missing puzzle piece.
I am 82 and am retired from medical research.  I have had yawn-associated dislocation of the hyoid bone on rear occasions for about 10 years.  the most severe episode occurred while I was waking up in bed just a few hours ago and was finally relieved when I stood up, stretched my neck backward -- and helped the inferiorly displaced hyoid back in place with both hands.  
Until relieved it is life-threatening because the airway is misplaced and it is impossible to speak or to swallow.
I am sharing this post with my immediate family and family physician.  
Until a support group is formed and the medical community  informed  "MedHelp"  provides a critical service.
Same problem here for 20+ years! It'll "pop" out of place every few years. Stress seems to tense the muscles and make it happen more often. Or turning/straining my next in bed.

I wanted to share what works for me to quickly pop it back into place... I look up and swallow. It hurts like hell! Equivalent to popping your shoulder or knee cap back into place.

Anyways THANK YOU ALL! Trying to describe this to doctors and people for years is sooo frustrating! Especially trying to describe how scary it is when it's happening!!!  
My 12 yr old son just had his 2nd pop in 2 weeks. According to him, it was really painful and it was hard to breathe. He said it just goesback to its place when he tries to relax.

I hope we ca have a more comprehensive explanation fom the medical community.

Glad to have read all your posts but still curious on what happened with the original poster's son...
Hi! Dude, I thought I was crazy until I found this thread!!! This SAME THING has happened to me about four or five times in my lifetime. I'm 19, female. When it happens there's a pop and a grinding sound and then I can't breathe or swallow, and THE PAIN! It's so weird and scary. I popped it back into place on instinct. Just a hard push in the opposite direction puts it into place again. The thing that's worrying me, is that I'm getting A LOT of symptoms of hyperthyroidism (it's also in my family) but was just tested and it came up negative. Is it possible that because my hyoid bone has been pushed out of place multiple times, that it could of injured my thyroid gland? I mean, I guess it's possible... I haven't mentioned it to my doctor before because I felt kinda crazy saying something. I wouldn't be surprised if he's never heard of a hyoid dislocating so I don't wanna waste my breath.
A few years back I went to a chiropractor and he was alarmed by how tight my neck muscles are. I also have, what he thought are a lot of knots in my neck. They're very tender and painful at times. I've had them treated with massage therapy and electro stim. But, to no mercy, I still have many painful lumps in my neck and tight muscles. I have problems with my jaw and EXTREME chronic migraines since I was 6. If anyone knows if these things are related, if you know what I can do to help with all the pain I'm in, I'd be much appreciative. Lately, I've just been smoking a lot of weed and it helps my pain, but now I'm a ******* pothead and I am still in pain when I'm sober. Soooo anyway, I'm just happy I'm not the only one who has weird **** happening to their neck that literally no one has even ******* heard of. Good luck to all you out there that are suffering like me. Good ******* luck.
Please research Ehlers Danlos Syndrome possibly the hypermobility type.    It causes jaw issues, dislocations of joints etc.  You may have issues with cervical instability which could be causing your neck issues.  My neck is the same way, tight, sore, knots pain.  Ehlers Danlos can cause the neck issues.  Another condition that is related is a Chiari 1 Malformation which can cause headaches and neurological problems.  Ehlers Danlos can cause issues all over your body anywhere there is collegen.  
Is there an exercise, massage, or anything to strengthen the muscles/ligaments around the hyoid to prevent the popping?  
I have lived with this for quite a number of years now, it started in my early teens. I am hypermobile so my best guess is that the ligaments that hold my Hyoid bone in place are weaker than they should be, however, I have no other problems being hypermobile. But everyone is different.
I understand how scary it is when it dislodges and you can't breath! I usually just tilt my head up slightly and with 3 fingers flat against where my neck and my jaw meet, I gently push until it pops back in. It still hurst afterwards though.
So little is known about the Hyoid bone dislodging, I feel some research should be done as this is causing pain, choking and general discomft for the people that experiance this. People sometimes don't believe when I tell them about it. But unfortunately for now we will just have to live with it.
Good luck to you all and I finally feel like I'm not alone/ going crazy!
Wow, I am so glad I came across this thread. I am a 31 year old who's been going through this same thing for years. I have noticed it's been getting worse lately. Mine also pops when drinking from a straw or just turning my head a certain way. It's definitely an uncomfortable feeling but I can normally pop it right back by turning my head and moving my jaw some. I went to a chiropractor and they took x-rays but didn't even mention the hyoid bone..just that he had no idea, I had neck adjustments done but never helped. I'm so glad to have some answers today.
For 30 years I thought I was swallowing my tonsil! Today I thought to ask my dentist and he called out the hyoid bone right away. Now I'm not alone!

For me it only happens when I'm laying my side. I can pop it back in with my fingers by pressing on my neck or I can swallow which is really hard and painful. When I was it kid it didn't happen very often and when it did it hurt a lot to swallow (was almost impossible to swallow actually, but no problem breathing) and it was easier to pop back. Now it is harder to pop back but less painful and happens about 3 times a week.
By my research in my laboratory I have tested this theory for the  5 time only finding his tonsil was moving down towards the bottom of his neck.so in theory try to keep your neck at the regular level and try not to yawn or talk an in unusual way.
I have this problem now, it started to pop few years ago, and happend every week, then every day. I told every doctor I met and they said that it's impossible to pop. Last year another doctor believed me, then looked my throat from inside and said that whole trachea dissalocated a bit, maybe muscles from right side are short and it's the main cause of popping . He told me to get fat a bit and it will stop popping. I gained few kgs and popping dissappeared. Now I lost about 6-7kgs and popping returned, but it's not like before, it's always popped a bit and hurts very bad. I am not able to put my head on the pillow :/ I'm 22 btw.
I'm a trained singer.  I have had on two occasions in the past 15 years, dislocation of they hyoid bone.  The symptoms are popping upon swallowing and a feeling like there's a swollen gland on the right side of the neck.  When I turn my head to the right, no symptoms at all.  I have found the problem to be spasmed muscles above and below the bone on the right side of my neck.  Nothing is alarming about this and some good massage to lengthen the muscles connected to the floating bone, from under the chin downward and from under the clavicle upward will release the grip and allow the bone to go back into its proper place. Beyond neck stretches and massage, there are exercises which include manipulations while humming,breathing, and swallowing that will eventually resolve the issue.  I hope this helps!
The same happened to me yesterday when I was yawning. I could feel something getting stuck in the left side of my neck. Years ago I could pop it back into place by looking to the opposite side of the pain and up and swallowing. But this time this procedure did not work and was very painful.

After a terrible night (800 mg of ibuprofen did not help at all) I went to the doctor and got some stronger painkillers (tramadol). About an hour after taking 100 mg of tramadol I yawned and the bone popped back into place. Such a relief!

Thank you all for participating in this thread, your comments helped me a lot, especially the tip about looking to the other side and down when swallowing. That procedure made swallowing not as excruciatingly painful as before.

Good luck everyone!