Orthopedics Community
Has anyone heard of a dislocated hyoid bone?????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Please, please give me some direction to head in with this!!!  My 17 yr. old son complained of pain in his neck a couple of months after he flipped over a car.  he had knee injuries as well.  the orthopedic took an xray of his neck and said he was ok.
About 10 months later my son complained that while at his bus stop something popped in his throat and he couldn't breath for a minute and was forced to place pressure on it to pop it back in.  I found it very odd and kind of brushed it off and said you're ok now so.  Then a couple of months later it happened again.  His pediatrician sent us to an Endoconologist.  He had no answer and told us to see an ENT.  We saw the ENT, he stuck a scope up through his nose and down to the throat and said he saw nothing.  He sent him for a cat scan, which came back negative, so he brushed it off.  We went to another ENT who also saw nothing and brushed it off as well.  
This past week my son had his 3rd popping incident and this time the condition became cronic (chronic).  Every time he turns his head this thing pops in his throat and it is very painful and scarry.  I rushed him in to the 2nd ENT.  This time the Dr, witnessed the popping for himself.  He believes the hyoid bone is dislocating and rubbing into the cartilige of the thyroid.  
We are waiting on an auth. for an MRI.  THE PROBLEM IS AND QUESTION:

THE ENT SAID HE NEVER SAW THIS BEFORE AND SAID HE DOES NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT????
IN THE MEANTIME HE INSTRUCTED MY SON TO WEAR A NECKBRACE TO STOP HIM FROM TURNING HIS NECK!!!  
DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE IN THIS AREA???
Avatar_dr_m_tn
This is a very rare incident.
Hyoid bone as such does not dislocate and it may happen in accidents to jaw bone.The Hyoid bone is the only bone in the body that does not attach directly . When a bone is dislocated, its ligaments are often torn or overstretched and this may be the reason it is giving him that popping sound and pain.
The only way is not to make the bone stretch or dislocate so he was given a neck brace.
Here by doing this the clinician is preventing the hyoid bone to pop out.
Management of injuries to the larynx is based on the mechanisms and extent of the injury found during the initial assessment. The first priority is always to establish the airway. If the patient is breathing well and the injury does not require surgical care, the patient may be observed for some months or else surgery is the only option.
Thank you for educating me a bit.  I can understand that keeping his ligaments from moving may heal this problem or help it to some degree.

Do you think he should have this MRI?  He already had a catscan which showed nothing.
The Dr. suggested an MRI with contrast.  He has had so many MRI's on his knees already plus catscans and xrays over the past year. So much radiation can't be good for a kid his age.  I don't see how the MRI will show much more than the catscan, do you?

And also this Dr. said he has never seen this before and does not know how to treat it.
MRI's show an incredible amount of detail...more than is possible w/ a CT. Also, MRI's function differently and are not actually considered to impart radiation like CT's do. It's certainly woth it for your son to get one. The Dr. will be able to see if ligaments are torn. If it's possible for your son to initiate the dislocation it would be very beneficial to have images in the MRI taken while his hyoid is dislocated, however he will likely need to remain in that position for at least 30 minutes. If he can breathe OK maybe pain meds can be administered to make getting those images possible.
What your son has may have something to do with the elongation of his superior cornu of the thyroid cartilage. This is one of the weakest structures in the neck so if he did sustain a neck injury this area could easily become bent or stretched and rub against his hyoid bone because it is elongated. That clicking noise may be the elongated cartilage coming into contact with his hyoid bone or cervical transverse process. 3D AXIAL CT SCAN is the best imaging study to check for this make sure you have an ENT who reads the below article and understands this condition. Also, visit the section on this site on hyoid bone problems, or read under my posts and their is a lot more information on thyroid cartilage abnormality. Your son may have something different though but I would check for this  since it is a possibility this could be causing the clicking.

The complaint of a clicking in the throat when swallowing or (turning the neck) is uncommon but very discomforting and painful for those who experience it. It is such an unusual complaint that symptoms may be dismissed as psychogenic because a cause for the problem may not be readily apparent. We present a series of 11 cases in which all patients had an audible clicking or popping noise in the throat associated with neck and throat pain when swallowing or turning the neck. The most helpful diagnostic procedure was careful examination and palpation of the neck while the patient swallowed to localize the side and source of the clicking. Laryngeal computed tomographic (CT) scans helped in some cases to demonstrate thyroid-cartilage and/or vertebral body asymmetry. Each case was treated with surgery of the neck and larynx to trim the portion of the thyroid cartilage causing the clicking. In most cases the superior cornu of the thyroid cartilage projected posteriorly and medially. Surgery was successful in all cases to eliminate the symptoms. Though an uncommon complaint, our experience suggests that the clicking throat is a surgically treatable problem.

Thank you for your information.  I did send my son for the MRI, which showed nothing because the hyoid was not dislocating at the time, of course once we got into the car heading home it popped out 3 times.  The imaging center told us to come back when it dislocates and they will do more testing.  The problem is that before it would pop and he would push it back in, now it just constantly pops and he feels sore and as if there is a golf ball in his throat.

I live on Long Island and every ENT I have taken him to or spoken with cannot even help him with this condition.  They say it is very rare. One ENT gave us a perscription to have a Barium Swallow test done (do you think this will be helpful with a diagnosis?)

I have an appointment next week with an ENT in NYC who says he has experience with this and can help, but I have to pay out of pocket.  I can afford the initial $250 visit, but I do not know what to do afterwards???  Do you have any suggesgtions?

The complaint of a clicking in the throat when swallowing is uncommon but very discomfortingand painful for those who experience it. It is such an unusual complaint
that symptoms may be dismissed as psychogenic because a cause for the problem may
not be readily apparent. We present a series of 11 cases in which all patients had an
audible clicking or popping noise in the throat associated with neck and throat pain when swallowing or turning the neck. The most helpful diagnostic procedure was careful examination and palpation of the neck while the patient swallowed to localize the side and source of the clicking.
Laryngeal computed tomographic (CT) scans helped in some cases to demonstrate thyroid cartilage
and/or vertebral body asymmetry. Each case was treated with surgery of the neck and
larynx to trim the portion of the thyroid cartilage causing the clicking. In most cases the superior
cornu of the thyroid cartilage projected posteriorly and medially. Surgery was successful in all cases
to eliminate the symptoms. Though an uncommon complaint, our experience suggests that the
clicking throat is a surgically treatable problem.
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2001;127:1129-1131

Sex/Age, y Type of Symptoms (Duration, mo)
Location
of Symptoms
Prior Neck
Trauma Procedure Outcome
1/F/37 Clicking when swallowing, throat pain (5) R neck No R SCE Complete resolution
2/F/27 Clicking when swallowing, neck pain (9) Mid neck Yes Trim superior edge of the thyroid lamina Complete resolution
3/M/18 Clicking when swallowing, neck pain (24) L neck Yes L SCE Complete resolution
4/F/39 Clicking when swallowing, neck pain (12) Bilateral neck,
R.L
No Bilateral SCE, posterior edge thyroid
ala excision (staged)
Complete resolution
5/M/25 Clicking when swallowing, neck pain (12) Bilateral neck No Bilateral SCE Complete resolution
6/M/29 Throat pain when playing trumpet (12) R neck No R SCE Complete resolution
7/M/36 Odynophagia (6) L neck Yes L SCE Complete resolution
8/F/54 Throat pain, aphonia, odynophonia (8) R neck Yes R SCE Complete resolution
9/F/27 Throat, neck, facial pain (9) R neck Yes R SCE Complete resolution
10/F/51 Throat pain, clicking when swallowing (4) R neck Yes R SCE Complete resolution
11/F/15 Throat pain, clicking when swallowing (24) L neck Yes L SCE, L hyoid trim (staged) Complete resolution

Results of imaging studies (CT
scans) were initially reported as “normal.”
After several such studies, a different
techniquewasperformedat the
University of Utah. If the clicking occurred
when turning the head, a spiral
CT scan was performed with the
patient in the neutral position. It was
then repeated with the patient’s head
turned and during a swallow. This
demonstratedtheunderlyingdynamic
cause of the sound (Figure2). Interpretation
of the CT images requires
knowledge of the abnormalities that
may cause the clicking sound. The 3
abnormalities that were identifiedon
CTscanninginourseriesincluded(1)
posteriorelongationofthethyroidcartilage
ala, (2) superior elongation of
the superior cornu of the thyroid cartilage,
and(3)anasymmetrically large
cervical vertebra transverse process

Clicking in the throat can be treated
surgically.Physicalexaminationisfundamentaltoidentifytheclickingsource
so that a treatment procedure can be
confidently recommended. Patients
canbereassuredthattheseuncommon
symptoms are not products of their
imagination or something seen only
inmovies;theyare realandcanbesuccessfully
treated. In our series, laryngeal
clicking when swallowing was a
bona fide symptom with an identifiable
cause. It often had associated
throat pain and dysphagia and was
frequently, but not necessarily, associated
with prior trauma to the neck
orintubation.Themostcommoncause
was an elongated or posteriorly orientedsuperiorcornuofthethyroidcartilage.
Based on our experience, we
conclude the following: (1) Physical
examination is needed, with careful
palpation of theneckduring swallowing
and reproduction ofsymptomsto
localize the source of the click. Attention
shouldbedirectedtowardthe superior
cornu of the thyroid cartilage
when symptoms are to the side of the
neck and toward overlapping structures
in the thyrohyoid space when
symptoms are in the anterior of the
neck. (2) Laryngoplasty isaneffective
treatment under local or general anesthesia
to trim the offending region
(s) of the thyroid cartilage and/or hyoid
bone responsible for the clicking.
Accepted for publicationMay17, 2001.
Supported by grant K08-
DC00132 from the National Institutes
of Health, National Institute on
Deafness and Other Communication
Disorders, Bethesda, Md.
Corresponding author: Marshall
E. Smith, MD, Division of Otolaryngology–
Head and Neck Surgery,
3C-120, University of Utah
School of Medicine, 50 N Medical Dr,
Salt Lake City, UT 84132 (e-mail:
marshall.***@****).
REFERENCES
1. Counter RT. A clicking larynx. J Laryngol Otol.
1978;92:629-31.
2. Makura ZGG, Nigam A. The clunking neck.J Laryngol
Otol. 1995;109:1217-1218.
3. Hilali AS, Saleh HA, Hickey SA. Clicking hyoid.
J R Soc Med. 1997;90:689-690.
(REPRINTED) ARCH OTOLARYNGOL HEAD NECK SURG/VOL 127, SEP 2001 WWW.ARCHOTO.COM
1131
©2001
Update on my son.  We saw a highly recommended ENT he did a scope video of Kurt's hyoid bone and it is definitely dislocated from the ligaments on the left side.  He seemed stumped on how to proceed with this injury.
He took his video and my copies of the CT and MRI (which were both negative according to the radiologist) and is bringing them to meet with his board at Cornell University this upcoming Thursday.
We are sitting impatiently awaiting his direction on what they can do to fix this.  It is extremely rare.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Good and great going and they will have to work out in giving a support to his hyoid bone so that it does not dislocate.
Every human being is special and different and the knowledge of anatomy will work here and a neat research procedure is what should be planned now.
Take care and support Kurt!

I am a 25 year-old male and have been suffering for about a year with what seems to be an identical problem. I will swallow, but it often feels as though the cartilage in my neck is dislodged and it becomes very uncomfortable and painful to the point that I get headaches if I leave it for any amount of time...so I am constantly "repositioning" the cartilage. The problem, though, is that as time has gone on I have become used to just "repositioning" it to the point that it just seems to be "floating" in my neck...repositioning it gives me comfort for one swallow, then it is dislocated again. And now whenever I walk and step with my left foot I hear and feel the clicking in my neck, almost like something is "broken" and shifting around. I have seen an ENT, and my doctor, and my chiropractor has also examined it...I've had a CT scan, an MRI, blood work, and an ultrasound, and all have come back unfounded. The chiropractor said it might be broken "strap" muscles; the ENT figured it was inflamed, and the MD isn't much help at all. This condition is extremely annoying and uncomfortable (not to mention scary), and I'm glad I found this thread so I know I'm not the only one and maybe there is a fix out there!! Thanks for any additional advice, and lulin4 good luck to your son.

Jason
I hate to say it but I am glad to know that I am not the only one with this problem.  My neck (hyoid bone I'm guessing) has a tendency to pop out/dislocate to the left when my head is turned to the left and I yawn.  This had been occuring for about the last 30 years and I long ago learned how to pop it back in.  I think I sustained an injury while playing football because when we would tackle each other - one particular player, I would always get hit in the throat.  I have been to numerous doctors and they have been unable to find anything wrong.  One even called the problem a "minor inconvienience"  which was an insult considering the pain involved when the bone is dislocated and one tries to swallow.  I have no suggestions other than to say that there is another person out there that has the same identical problem.  Good luck and if you find a treatment other than the neck brace, I would love to hear it.

I have the same problem and consulted many ENTs: no diagnosis was ever established and at last I was told that I should 'be careful when I eat and not lie down while eating or risk suffocation'! I was told that if I were a singer I would qualify for surgery but otherwise to live with it. Everytime I train at the gym I feel this mass in my throat and I too push on it for a few seconds relief. I find the medical establishment disgusting for telling me to tough it and dismissing my concerns, for what I feel is a very serious condition and certainely a constant discomfort. I had to stop sports activities and this has affected my mood - and I find no joy in life, being constantly reminded of my problem each time I swallow. Hard to work as well feeling like that. After seeing so many docotrs in vain, I am contemplating taking my life, because this is too unberable. I know it sounds extreeme, but so is the condition that I have to endure every minutes of my life. I wish I could bring more to the discussion, but unfortunately I cannot see any concrete option. I can only wish you luck and hope that you will find a better way to deal with this problem.

Take care.
I have had this exact problem for years.  My MD husband (a primary care doctor) simply pops it back into place for me, or I do it myself.  He says it is a dislocation of the hyoid bone, and has had it happen to him, which is why he knew exactly what it was and what to when I had a particularly painful episode.  Once it is popped back into place, all symptoms immediately clear, save for minor residual soreness.  Therefore he would disagree with Dr. Vinod that there is no such thing. He says he doesn't know what causes it, but suggests that stress doesn't help.
Sorry to hear about your sons throat problems. I have suffered exacatly the same over the last thirty years, mainly if I yawn with my head turned in any direction. when it happens the first thing that comes into your mind is "oh no not again, followed by panic and pain. I have learnt how to push it back in now which is some comfort but have recently had an abcise and swelling on my jaw which wont go even with major amounts of antibiotics. When I asked my gp both he and the nurse said that there were no bones in the throat and they had never heard of anything like this. They dismissed my question like I was a child. Since seeing this forum I can see that I am not the only one suffering from this nasty condition. Please update me on your sons progress if you have the time  

Due to constant sore throats, my friend had her hyoid bone surgically removed back in the 1960s, in the New Haven, CT area. They went in through the throat. It was a rare condition at the time but there were recorded cases available to her MD. She has never had any problems and it cured her sore throats.
kevmom
oh my goodness, I've been thinking I was a freak since I was a teenager because something like this has happened to me periodically for 25 years. Today was the worst ever which is why I started looking on the internet to see if I could find an answer. Something in my throat sometimes gets "stuck" when I twist my neck, or yawn, of lie with my head turned etc. It is extremely difficult and painful to swallow when this happens. I panic. I used to ask someone to thump me hard on the back because that would maybe dislodge the feeling. There's nothing actually there, but it feels like something is caught up in the wrong place. Sometimes it is mild and just pops back by itself. Sometimes I have to stretch and twist my neck and eventually it pops back. Once it pops back its fine again. A sore throat for a while but at least I can swallow. Today I tried everything and what eventually worked was my husband firmly holding my whole skull and pulling upwards, elongating my neck. People have said here that it is possible to manually click things back into place please please please can someone explain how?? I'm terrified everytime this happens that my throat is going to swell shut and I'll die. I also suffer from occasional laryngeal spasms which completely cut off my breathing momentarily but these have only happened in the last 2 years since a very nasty bacterial throat infection. Even saliva can trigger them. Please help me.
This is amazing...I finally decided to search this topic and found this thread.
I to have suffered from this for about 15 years or so. I am now 43 years old.
It has only happened  to me about 4 times and it was in a short span like I said about 15 years ago. I can describe it as the same as others "popping out" when I turned my neck and streched. I too was terrified but not because I could not breath, it was because I knew it was going to hurt like hell when it popped back in place so I therefore voluntarily did not breath for a minute or so and then ouch!!!
So anyway I describe it like a pop can that you push a small dent in it and then pinch the sides of the pop can until the dent pops back out.
For years I could not yawn productively because I was afraid a big yawn would make it happen again!! I noticed that my hyoid bone was setting at an angle in my neck and still is to this day! There is a much bigger gap in my right side of my neck than in the left side. To the point that the furthest point of the hyoid bone is pushing and agitating my lymphnodes on my right side of my throat. This has been going on for years. Whe I push my chin to my chest it causes me to cough and it hurts to some degree. I brought this "whole" thing up to my ENT and he dismissed the hyoid being crooked (not horizontal) in my throat. I told him it hurt when I positioned my chin to my chest and guess what he said? Me..."It hurts when I do this!"  Him..."then dont do that!"   serious no lie and then he laughed.
Anyway he was sure quick to cut my tonsils out and take that money. I gues this was just too challanging for him. But guess what? This thread will be shared with him!!!!!
Not happy "I am"
It is just amazing, as like others, I thought I was some kind of hypocondriac freak.
WOW!  I thought I was the only person that ever had this problem.  I cannot yawn and tilt my head back at the same time or mine pops out. I cannot stretch back at all.  I cannot hear the it pop our and it doesn't click but God can I feel it. Feels like a bone is cutting into my airway and it is SO painful to swallow and even when I move my neck. The last time this happened it went on for like 3 days.  Then it finally stopped. When I feel it start to pop out I push up on the left side of my neck just a little then I get instant relief.  I thought I was just going crazy. I have been to several ENT's and even the ER several times with this and they look at me like I'm an idiot.
I too developed a clicking in my throat, on the left side after I kept pushing my larynx from left to right to feel this lymph node, don't ask, I was being a hypochondriac.  After reading and researching, it was quite clear it was the larynx that was clicking.  Luckily for me, after I deeply pushed my larynx from the right hand side toward the left, it had now disappeared.  I think I had somehow dislocated the hyoid bone, teaches me to mess with my neck again!  But from that one article that was found by Google, they can operate on the larynx to make it go away.  The link is:  http://archotol.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/127/9/1129  Good luck with yours.  
I have been diagnosed with a dislocated hyoid bone.  It has gone from popping or clicking to now just slightly protruding.  No pain at the moment, some clicking it if moves out of place.  Any information would be helpful.  Any suggested doctors?  I visited an ENT and he said if no pain is being experienced, no mdical reason to correct it.  I am not sure I am comfortabe "living" with this.  Thanks
Hi, I have been suffering for the last 5 months w the sore throat and a popping on the left side of my throat. I can't take this pain no more. Went to 2 ENT's saw nothing had a cat scan saw nothing...I am running out of patients and I really want to be able to swallow normal again. This is so depressing...can someone help me please???
I have had surgery at UCLA for what seems to be the condition discussed on this site in my strong opinion the popping and clicking occurs when the tendon (intermediate tendon of the diagastric) that anchors the hyoid becomes stretched out causing the hyoid bone to be hypermobile and start clicking on nearby structures. There are other things that can cause a click but the fact that everyone shares such a disturbing symptom in common makes me think the simplest explanation would be that the tendons or muscle (stylohoid) anchoring this bone has been weakened. The doctor I have found in the US who has the most experience with this painful condition "hyoid bone dislocation" is the Chief of Head and Neck Surgery at UCLA. Dr. Gerald Berke, he is probably your best chance for some form of relief. He greatly reduced the clicking my and other patients hyoids.
Hi tell me more about your problem AND message me I am trying to compile research on a group of patients who have this condition.

What are all your symptoms?

What triggered the onset of your symptoms?

Where is the point of maximum discomfort in your neck/throat?

What helps your condition?

What makes your condition worse?

Can you recreate the click by palpating your throat?
I am glad I found these posts.   Like most people with neck and throat symptoms who cannot seem to get a straight answer from a medical professional, I have reluctantly resorted to searching the internet.  It is nice to know that others out there have similar symptoms and have had difficulty in trying to obtain a diagnosis. I have to mention that I am a veterinarian who specializes in diagnostic pathology, so my medical training and knowledge is very keen.

My throat/neck symptoms began about 4 months ago, out of the blue. It began with a strange mild pressure sensation in my right submandibular region.  I thought at first it might have been my submandibular salivary gland but I experienced no visibly obvious swelling or pain associated with the gland.  About 2 weeks after the initial symptoms, in addition to the pressure sensation, I developed the persistent and annoying globus sensation (foreign body in the throat sensation), which is limited to the right side of my throat. I also developed an intermittent popping on the right side of my throat when I swallow.  This popping can actually be felt when I place my fingers under the right side of my jaw when I swallow, and it is  often more noticeable if I turn my neck to the left. At times the pressure sensation in my neck extends all the way down to the region of my right collarbone and upper chest.  Occasionally, I have very mild pain in my right deep inner ear and submandibular region, but I have experienced no throat pain or tenderness.  I do notice mild twinges of pain in my neck muscles sometimes when I am talking, which is really strange. At times, I feel my voice is straining when I talk and sometimes it just “fades out” while I am talking. My symptoms vary in intensity from day to day, but never completely go away.

About a month after initial onset, the symptoms became pretty consistent, and while not affecting my ability to eat or breathe, had become quite uncomfortable. So, I made an appointment to see my GP.  She palpated my neck, looked in my throat, said that she didn’t see or feel anything definite and it didn’t look like anything bad (such as cancer). She suggested that it may be “something like Eagle’s syndrome”, although I have no history of tonsillectomy. She then referred me to an ENT. I waited almost 6 weeks to see this ENT, and all he did was palpate my neck and look at back of my throat with a dental mirror for all of about 10 seconds. He told me he saw similar cases all of the time, and never could really figure out what it was. He told me the popping when I swallow “could be tendonitis” but that he never saw any appreciable calcification on x-rays. He basically told me to just “live with it” because it was nothing bad, and sent me on my way.  I could not believe how dismissive he was.  He did not elaborate on the “tendonitis” theory, nor did he suggest anything to alleviate the symptoms. Perhaps he was acknowledging that it may be tendonitis of my digastric muscle, but never even mentioned the possibility of hyoid syndrome.

Disillusioned with this ENT experience and still seeking an answer, I decided to go to a chiropractor. I went there thinking maybe this was something related to a pinched nerve in my neck or possibly something related to my head and neck posture, as I easily spend 8-10 hours a day looking in a microscope. He listened to me explain my symptoms, told me that he thought my problems were TMJ related, and suggested I go to an orthodontist.  I have had clicking in my TMJ since I can remember (15+years), but have never had any type of globus sensation or pressure sensation in my neck or throat associated with it and have never had popping in my throat when I swallow before this.  Nor do I have any of the typical jaw pain/soreness, headache or facial pain that is often described with TMJ disorders.  While I considered and appreciated the chiropractor’s opinion, I felt like no one had really done anything to rule out the possibility that there was something IN my neck or throat causing these symptoms.  I wanted to do that before going to an orthodontist or oral surgeon and pursuing the TMJ route.  On top of that, neither my insurance nor my husband’s insurance will cover treatment for TMJ disorders (go figure).

As my frustrated internet searches began, I started to wonder if my symptoms could be associated with atypical GERD.  I took a 2 week trial of Prilosec OTC for the heck of it and took antacids 2-3 times a day, but it didn’t alleviate the symptoms. So I returned to my GP, who thought that it still could be atypical GERD and she then referred me to a gastroenterologist. The visit to the gastroenterologist led to an endoscopy, and he said I had a small hiatal hernia, a few gastric polyps (incidental finding), and he “thought” I had GERD. He did not say that he saw definitive esophageal erosion or damage. He told me to try omeprazole 20mg (same drug as Prilosec OTC) for 90 days and to return in 6 weeks for a follow up appointment. It has been several weeks, and I am frustrated to say that the same symptoms are still present with no change.  

To this point, not one physician has done any diagnostic imaging of my neck, not even a simple x-ray. As a veterinarian, this really baffles me. While I understand that imaging may not provide all or any of the answers, it seems to me like it could definitely rule out a few things, if nothing else.

I have had a few people suggest that my symptoms are probably just due to “anxiety” and I am sure some of you out there have had a physician tell you the same thing. It is my thought that a diagnosis of “anxiety” is a diagnosis of exclusion only. Until all the appropriate diagnostic tests are performed, and it is proven without a doubt that there is nothing physically causing a symptom, then a diagnosis of “anxiety” should be considered unacceptable.

GERD?  TMJ?  Tendonitis?  Anxiety? Which is it?

So now I have found the information on hyoid syndrome and really wonder if this is not something I should pursue with a different ENT, because the symptoms seem so similar. It sounds to me like this hyoid syndrome is such an obscure, uncommon thing that if you can't find an ENT who has experience or knowedge about it, it is wasted time and money. It is no wonder so many people just give up. The thought of having to "live with" this dicomfort for the rest of my life is just downright discouraging....
I have had this condition for approx 7 months now...1st 3 months they put me on anti inflammitories and percets. Pain and clicking still was happening. The best way I can discribe this feeling is when you are holding back emotions and you get that awful knot in your throat that is how I feel than when I swallow it thumps or clicks and hurts my ear and jaw left side. I choke when i drink sometimes if it pops out while I am swallowing. This is constant all day and is affecting my sleep and making me very depressed I live in NY and going to Westchester Medical right now cuz no other local ENT know what the hell is wrong with me. My sore throats are pretty constant also and hurts when i breathe in air only on the left side. Someone please help me find a Doc who dealt with this I am starting to feel like I am going crazy but I know docs believe me cuz they feel it themselves and look so puzzled. This is controlling my life and I don't want to become addicted to pain meds!!! I have to hold and push down on the left side of my throat so I don't choke when I drink that seems to be the only way it doesn't pop and if I look up and stretch my neck. Other that that every swallow I am reminded of this and it feels very serious and is very scary!!!
Stylohyoid syndrome and tracheal caudal displacement may be the cause of the problem.

As they both pulling the hyoid in different directions.

Stylohyoid syndrome may cause headache, neck pain and TMJ syndrome.

Tracheal caudal displacement is evidneced by hyoid moving downward with decreased hyoid and sternum notch distance.

ZHT
I had my hyoid bone to become dislocated.... Saw a D.O. that specialized in OMM and he put it back in place. It occasionally pops out... I just turn my head a certain way and it pops right back into place.
I hope by now you have had some relief from your problem . My 13 year old son had a football injury this past Aug. he has been unable to do anything since Sept. He is in constant pain in his whole head and has trouble with ringing in the ears and balance. His arms and feet are freezing and he cannot walk up to speed . Because there is no way to get inside and fix this orthopedic-ally they have no suggestion. Saying it not fractured or broken so there is nothing wrong. WOW!  His hyoid bone is off to the opposite side that his neck is twisted in the x-rays and MRI. It is plain to see.  Only my Upper Cervical Chiropractor found this and I am now being treated by a DO who specializes in cranial sacral therapy or traditional osteopathic medicine specifically. He is going through more pain but things are moving so it looks hopeful . I have faith in this because i have seen it work before it is not a new therapy and covered by most insurance . This is a proven science but considered alternative medicine by some. Give it a try everyone should  our body would work better .
I too have had this happen. My bone in my throat popped out when I was laying on the ground on my back and arched by neck backwards. Suddenly it hurt to badly and it hurt intensely if I tried to swallow. I tried to relax it for a minute  and finally I got the sens that pushing on it may help. I pushed on it on the left side and  it "popped" back in to place and pain was gone. I still am a little sore in the neck. I hopped on google and found this. Is there any solution to this problem?
I too have this condition and it would happen only 2-3 times a year.  Tried to pop it back in using karate chop action but that didn't work anymore, then tried to manipulate back in and that soon wasn't working.  Tried the turning of head in opposite direction of pain, looking down and then swallowing and that seems to be working at the moment.  I never knew when it would show up but now since it has happened more often in a shorter amount of time, I am sensing it before it happens and quickly tried to overt it.  I have noticed that since I believe in chiropractic care (I have 3 family members that are chiropractors but I'm so healthy that I rarely go) I will be making more of an effort to visit the chiropractors office to fend it off from happening again.  I definitely will be keeping up on this watch list because any more pertinent info that comes across that is helpful is truly appreciated.  I have also noted headaches more often and neck pain so I believe they are related to the stylohyoid syndrome and tracheal caudal displacement as mentioned earlier in these postings.  I am very thankful for everyone's input.  
same here! we had a rear end car accident. not that bad but initial pain in my neck. only 2 weeks ago so i don't know if it will last but i get pressure headaches like my head is going to explode and twice i've had this golf ball in your throat problem. yesterday i didn't think it would go away but it did after 5 mins when i found the right position to relieve it. its like having one sided tonsillitis but bonier and gives me ear ache and headches after and really hard to swallow.
i'd really like to know what the treatment is.......
I have had this same exact condition for 30+ years now.  I learned to live with it by just popping back in place as soon as it happened.  I would try not to yawn with my head turned or laugh too hard with my head turned.  Usually it pops right back in when I put pressure on the left side but now it's been like this for 3 days.  It's really painful every time I swallow and it feels like I'm slowly choking.  I feeling light headed and my ears are timing.  I just want it to pop back in place but it won't .  I feel like I'm going crazy. Ive tried turning my neck and even my husband tried to help.  I'm afraid it's going to stay like this.  This is a terrible awful problem that no one is aware of.  I'm glad for all of you sharing I thought I was the only one.  My drs think it's all in my head the whole stress thing si ce I'm a busy mom if 3 kids.  The drs just make you feel worse because they just don't know anything about it.  Right now the terrible pain in my throat is unbearable, after 30 years I just can't take it anymore!  I just hope it pops back.  Any suggestions???
I have the same problem i feel like a pop and i can't look up down left right swallow talk or breathe i went to the ENT's and they said just pop it back into place or show us when it pops out but i cant because i pops back in but im scared that one day i wont be able to pop it back into place, please let me know if yours popped back into place please im very scared
I have the same problem. I saw an ENT today who said the clicking was from the hyoid bone catching on part of the thyroid cartalidge. I had an episode last week and it still hasn't popped back in. It is very uncomfortable and scary.
Hi, has it popped back in yet?
My sister-in-law who is a chiropractor told me that it is NOT in your head.  The stress in my life was causing shoulder and neck pain and headaches which throws your spine off, therefore causing the hyoid bone to move and making the pain and popping out sensations.  I shared with her one trick of getting it back in place which was turning head in opposite direction of pain, looking down and then swallowing which did help a lot.  But in the end, it seemed she was right in that the stress was what started it.  Since that revelation, I tried some things to unstress myself and I haven't had any more problems with it since I last posted on here.  What a difference!  I hope it works for you too!
no, it hasn't. :(
I have had this same problem for years, since I was in my 30's I'm now 56, but just in the last 6 months the bone has actually popped out of place 5 times. When it pops out the tendon is stretched and swallowing is painful and scary. The pain radiates down to my collar bone and up into my rear left jaw. It also feels like it affects my trapezius muscle. I've seen three doctors now, a GP, ENT, Rheumatologist and a Orthopedic Surgeon with no help yet. I've also had x-rays and one MRI. The MRI showed something but it was not clear exactly what. I'm going back to the ENT soon, maybe I will find something out.
The first time I saw the ENT she had me tested for Lupus and I do have some markers, but I don't think that is the whole problem.
I went to an ENT last year all he did was say it was normal and to keep popping it back into place and if it pops to come and show him what help that was
I have this same problem, but I'm a girl. Me and my friend were driving a 4-wheeler and flipped. He ended with a concusion and a broken collar bone. I however broke my ankle, damaged my achelees, and landed on my neck. Since then I had to have a screw/rod put in my foot and I discovered this poppin sensation as well. Thank you for explaining it so well!

I am currently talking with my ENT doctor about Resuspending my hyoid bone. He took my CT scan and said that he would email me if he could do the surgery. So, I am waiting for his answer.

Anyway, the bottom line is that
"DO NOT excise or remove your hyoid bone."
Hyoid bone is ESSENTIAL for normal body function, such as breathing, swallowing, speaking, and total balance of the body.
I assure the you guys also have the feeling of unbalance for the neck and face; suppose that you cut the portion of your hyoid bone.
It would worsen the feeling of unbalance and the other symptoms.
That is, RESUSPENDING or RECONSTRUCTING the dislocated bone is the only way to fix this problem. I am waiting for my doctor's answer.
So, once again, "DO NOT listen to any doctor who insist that he or she should cut the dislocated bone. DO NOT !!!!!
I really hope and pray that this post would help you guys.

P.S: my ENT physician is Dr. Robert Ward. He is at Cornell University.
       Even if he is at Pediatrician Department, he deals with the hyoid        bone dislocation. So, if it is hard for you guys to wait for my result, you could try to contact him by yourselves.
Thank you very much my ENT said to cut it out if it keeps happening but I was unsure..
Hi name is Janet and I'm 21 years old with two beautiful babies. Last year I went though thyroid surgery on my left side of my thyroid because of a tumor that became cancer. But while I had the tumor my neck bone felt it moved to my right side of my neck so what i did was to pop it back and it hurt so much. After surgery  a few weeks it didnt pop anymore but  e
Hi name is Janet and I'm 21 years old with two beautiful babies. Last year I went though thyroid surgery on my left side of my thyroid because of a tumor that became cancer. But while I had the tumor my neck bone felt it moved to my right side of my neck so what i did was to pop it back and it hurt so much. After surgery  and radiation a few weeks it didnt pop anymore but  while taking a shower I was wiping my neck and noticed my neck bone on my right side and so I did was to POP it back and so i told my Dr's but they said I was fine also. They did x- rays, ct scans, ext. But they told me am fine. Am really scared that I dnt might die from this or go through surgery again. Please does any one know what i have?? This popping thing happens every day every 5 mins. My Dr's think am fine but I dnt feel fine. Am super scared to tell even my family because they freak out easy plus I'm the bby in the family so they will. I dnt know what to do or go too.
I wanted to share you my story it might help some of you out there specially the lady with the 17 year old. My 11 year old daughter developed this condition suddenly out of the nothing. She does have a medical background of facial paralysis which she was born with it. Suddenly 8 weeks ago she was walking in school and felt something pop out from her throat and she says she tilted her head slightly and it popped back in place. 5 minutes after is popped back out and she tried to move her head and it happened again it clicked in place. By the time she got home she told me about it and said the popping was ocurring every 30 seconds and it was starting to hurt and bother alot. I asked her to call me when she had the popping sensation so she did. She stayed still until I could touch her and I felt it myself. Considering her history of facial paralysis I ran to the ER. They had no idea and said had never seen anything like it. Referred to an urgent visit to the ENT Specialist next day in the morning. The ENT Felt the popping himself and said had never seen anything like it and he sent an urgent CT-SCAN and scoped her right there. He said the scope looked normal , no life threatening condition and her airway was open. He did mention he thought it was the hyoid bone clicking against Adamas apple also called Thyroid Cartilage. Ok Ct-Scan results comes back saying her Hyoid is dislocated.

The Ent that saw her said it must of been because the facial paralysis. He said all those years of weakness of the neck  muscles attached to the hyoid made it move out of place. The funny thing is that he says do not worry it is not life threatening for now and I do not think it will move out of place any longer. We could try to send her to PT to see if it helps because I believe she is to small for surgery and I have not operated the hyoid bone before. Then he mentions what about a neck brace. At this point I thought wow I am in the wrong hands this Doctor has no idea what he is talking about. I started my research and found this forum. I contacted the office of Dr. Berke in LA  the best ENT in the country for hyoid bone surgery. They told me to send a copy of the CT-SCAN , I think they were moved because I told him it was a child with facial paralysis and added to that she had the hyoid problem. They call me immediately once the CT arrives at UCLA. Some other ENT calls and says DR. Berke needs to see my daughter and we must travel to LA. he said the hyoid looked twisted and he thought she was to small for surgery and he would rather if she could wait to grow more but in order for him to be sure she is going to be able to wait he needed to examine her. I was ready to schedule our appointment when they found out I had medicaid and said my daughter could not be seen even if we would pay . It was illegal to accept money from us being medicaid clients. They then told me they would refer me to DR. Denish Chhitry also from UCLA and colleague of Berke and he knew as much as Dr. Berke. The difference with the second one is that he not only worked for UCLA but also for Olive View State Hospital of LA, CA. He would be able to see me at that hospital.

At that point I left that call pending because even if I could get to travel to LA on my own if she needed surgery Medicaid would not pay my daughters surgery if it is not a medicaid provider. I would have to prove there is no one in the country that could do it. By the way I live in SC. Then I found that DR. Robin Cotton from Cincinnatti Sick Children Hospital was the best in the country for airway reconstruction. I contacted them and told them the whole story. In the mean time I went to my local pediatrician and told him what was going on. He said well let me give you my advice: I will refer you to Charleston SC so you can see Dr. David White he is a Pediatric  ENT and the best of the carolinas and if he can not do anything for you no one can in the carolinas. He said my advice is to go 1st to him so you can prove medicaid that you have tried with everyone and there is no one here that can do the surgery and you need to be transfered out of state for the treatment.

I started my research , who is David White? I Found he was trained at the Cincinnati Sick Children under the direction of Robin Cotton. I could not believe it and jumped in one foot. I left the appointment of Cincinnati also on stand by because I thought if this Doc knows everything Robin Cotton knows why I am going to want to travel to Cincinnati to a place they will probably not take my medicaid and I am going to have to pay for the appointment God knows how much.

Finally I went to DR. White last week. But before I tell you all what he said I started with  chiropractic for her. This Chiropractic Dr is the most honest man on earth. He said I do not know if I will be able to help and I want to do her an 8 week trial of treatment  free of charge and this all goes on me. If it helps alleluya and if not at least we tried. We are on week 3 and it has not helped at all. Her condition is getting worse every day to the point I am going to have to home school her for the remaining of the school year.She is in alot of pain where the adams apple is. Her neck muscles are getting fatigued of the popping and unpopping she has every 30 seconds. One of the reasons is that she unpops it stretching her jaw forward or trying to smile putting pressure on her neck muscles. Doing this every 30 sec has left her fatigued. The bone is constantly bumping against other structures in there also that makes it hurt more.

I started at home on my own  putting her electric stimulation on her throat with a decive called TENS. I was hoping the pain could go away and would strenghten the neck muscles and maybe put the hyoid back in place. Well this last attempt has not helped either.So Dr. White said he had 3 options and all are surgery. Number one was take part of the hyoid the middle section. Second option all the hyoid bone out or 3rd to suspend the hyoid bone which is more a surgery for people with sleep apnea. Then he said I think this last procedure of the suspension would bring her swallowing problems because it would  bring her hyoid bone forward that leaves us with the first 2 options he said. He mentioned that getting only one part of the hyoid was an easier procedure but what if that was not enough? He would then would have to operate a second time to get the rest of it out.He said well if we are already in there why not take it all out and we will not have the doubt after.

He said he does the hyoid bone procedure 1-2 per month but not for that reason by daughter has. He did say he had never seen any one like this and with the clicking every 30 secs. He said the reason he does surgery is because the children born with a cyst called thyroglossal duct Cyst needs to remove the cyst and the hyoid bone ( the middle section). He said the surgery has 5 points of difficulty from 1-10, he said a tonsillectomy for example has 1-2 points.He said it is not the most difficult surgery and not the most easiest either. He said they would do it at the MUSC Children Hospital of Charleston. He said if we would live near he would release her the same day but since we would be 4 hours away he would leave her overnight. He said his only concern is that she has a history of swallowing problems as a child and he thinks she could have swallowing problems after surgery. He said I think she would catch up with the other kids and it would be a matter of just weeks for her to catch up with the swallowing but I am not sure. He said if she would not have facial paralysis and would of not have the swallowing history she would be ok  without the bone. He said that bone is like the appendix you do not really need it.

.
This text is the continuation of the last reply i did about my 11 year old daughter with facial paralysis that ended up having a dislocated bone and now she is going to have a removal of the hyoid bone. Just read the previous thread before reading this.

I mentioned to Dr. White then about Dr. Berke at the end and he said Oh yes I know Berky but even if he is the best in the country for hyoid bone he is not a pedicatric ENT and has no experience with children. At that point he left me thinking and made me realize that my daughter needs to be operated by a pediatric ENT and not only by the best in the country.It made me realize also why the 1st dr. we saw had no idea how to operate the hyoid bone and why most ENT are not familar with the hyoid bone/ The answer is easy. They are not familar because it is so rare that an adult develops something in the hyoid so they never perform surgeries on them. By the otherside children are born with that cyst which is like a tumor and doctors are forced to learn about the anatomy of muscles, ligaments and everything attached to the hyoid and over time the pediatric ENT have learned very well how to operate them.

My advice is  that if you have gone to several Ent and they are not familar try visiting a Pediatric ENT but a good one in you area which does the cyst surgery I have mentioned. Those people know exactly what you will be talking about when you mention the click and pop thing. There is no neck brace that will help it for sure, and there is no need of a trauma for you to get a dislocated hyoid bone. I have received the attention because they saw my daughter would not make up a story like this, because they heard and felt the popping themselfs, the story of facial paralysis and so on. If she would of been an adult and with no pre-existing condition they would have probably said it was on her mind , she has anxiety  because that is what docs say when  can find a cause. So dont give up and keep looking for help. An another advice is before going to surgery always think in benefits vs risk. Is the benefit more than the risk? There is no need for someone to stay like that for life living in agony, pain anxiety.

There is risks in everything in life. It all depends how often you have a clicking sensation and how much it hurts. To be honest if my daughter had the popping out just 3 times a day I would not risk her life with this surgery. But she has it every 30 secs for a total of 120 times in 1 hour. Can you imagine how frustrating?We are Christians and always put are faith 1st and give also time for God to work but God also gave Doctors the knowledge to do things. You never  will see a child with Down Syndrome get cured in the way his facial appearance dissapears  even if you pray day and night he will always have his little fragile face of down. But what God can do is probably get him to be very smart, independent, be able to work and attend himself and how? With the Therapist and Doctors with knowledge that will help him have a better quality of life. My husband a few days ago told me honey shouldnt we wait a little bit more before surgery to se if God responds in a way? I said he already did honey getting us someone who will receive our medicaid, that lives near us willing to do the surgery and that knows what he is talking about. I told him honey I feel against a wall with a sword pointing at me, our child is in agony now and we can not leave her like that. If God would not want the surgery for her why is it she is worse every day? I do not want to be a preacher but God has his ways to show you if that is going to be fixed on its own in type of a miracle or if you are going to stay like that. He also puts people here on earth to help. I have read many people saying on other forums do not take your Hyoid Bone you will not be able to speak again or swallow and puts them in fear to go ahead. By experience I can tell you some people do not know what they are talking about. That is something a PT not even a Chiropractic doc can tell you. They do not even know how to read a Ct. Scan. And there is a chance with the swallowing problem but I have read many forums before posting here of people with complete removal of the hyoid saying they are fine.
Wow, that is the exact problem I have! I actually experienced my worst episode last night and went to the er, by the time I got there and was waiting, it resolved itself. But it took 2 1/2 hours before it got to where I could swallow and talk. The worst pain too! (and I gave birth to two 9 pound babies) I can't find much out about this, I have an appointment monday, but don't know how it's going to go. Is there anything I should be educated with  before hand? And how did your son end up with this? Resolved, or no? Thanks so much!
Wow. I can't believe I'm not the only one, I thought i was unaided on this. All that has been posted on this thread is exactly what is happening to me. Except, this only happens to me when I'm lied down. My throat or hyoid bone (I think) gets dislocated, and I have learned popping it back makes it normal again. I'm not sure what it is, but something in my throat (or maybe its the ligaments or the bone) pops out when my neck is turned in the opposition direction. It sometimes happens when my neck is in a strange position. Every time this happens, I have to sit up, and pop it back in place. I know whenever it comes... and I'm like "oh no, not again." It is a weird, foreign, discomforting feeling, but I don't know what to do. If I swallow, the pain grows and is excrutiating, so I have to QUICKLY push it back, so the pain doesn't grow. When i turn my head in the direction of the pain, it makes it worse. The "dislocation" is also on the right side of my neck. I don't recall an accident or anything else that might have triggered this occurrence. This also happens when I yawn. Might I add, Im a 16 year old female (turning 17 soon), and this has been going on for about less than a year. I haven't really thought about it till now, about the dangers it may bring if I don't pop it back, or the dangers it might cause if it were to happen to me in my sleep, or at old age, when I won't have "energy" or "strength" to sit up from my lying position and pop it back, because I don't know what would happen if I don't pop it back. I know the pain gets worse, I can't swallow, etc. This is when it gets me worried, but thank you to ALL the people who have posted on this thread, I am doing a lot of research, and will be notifying my doctor. Thank you. I will post back if i find anything more.
Looking to see if anyone has experienced the same problem as I do. 4 months ago I woke up with a striking pain in the throat (left side of Adams apple) it was so bad I couldn't go back to sleep. The pain cleared up, but now I get this weird click in the same area after I yawn. It feels like a bone or tendon get stuck and click right back to place after I move my head around. I've had a barium swallow, thyroid ultra sound and a blood test done, and nothing showed up. The click does not hurt but just annoying, and even worse the fear of cancer as I've been a half a pack a day smoker for 15 years. I went to see a different doctor which was really interested in this symptom, he said that the tendons became loose on the hyoid bone, and thatthis is just a abnormality and  i'm currently on antiinflammatories and i might just have to just get used to it. I did not have any neck trauma prior to this but I do recall having a severe sinus infection prior to this. Just looking to see if anyone else is experiencing this.
i have the same problem as you do, i noticed you posted this in 09, any new updates on this?
I too have this annoying clicking after time I swallow. I first developed it after going to my doctor and he prescribed me a beta blocker for my heart palpations which found out it was because of my low thyroid. At the same time,I went to a Gi specialist because of the clicking and trouble swallowing. I ended up being put on an antacid pill which cured my pain from the poping in throat but my my popping still remains. My popping happens every sec that I try to do dry swallows not so much with food or drinks. I saw an Ent specialist and he went down my throat and didn't see anything or feel anything on my throat. I'm going to get a CT scan tomorrow.Praying everything will be ok and they can figure out what's wrong and how to fix it. Everyone on here talks about poping the hyoid bone into place. How exactly do I do that? All I feel is the vibration of the popping but don't feel anything else.
Did your ct scan show anything?
No my ct scan came back clear.The doctor said the only thing that would make sense is it being my hyoid bone.He wants me to wait until March and see if it goes away. He said I would have to decide if I wanted him to do surgery which he said could present complications. So I have to decide to live with the feeling of swallowing a rock or take a risk :( My husband found some exercises online that stetch out the muscles that are connected to the hyoid bone. He was thinking maybe they were pulling on my muscles which is the problems. This all began because of acid reflex and had to get my throat stretched.So my husband thought maybe from my throat closing up,it could have pulled something out of place.I just hope the exercises work cause I don't know if I can live with this the rest of my life but I'm too afraid to get surgery done too.
I am experiencing a similar issue, i have a click in my throat everytime i yawn. It feels like a bone gets dislodged after the yawn and I have to swallow to get it to click back into place, very uncomfortable. I believe its my hyoid rubbing against cartilage. Globus Pharyngeus is what we all may be experiencing, which can be caused by stress. Im waiting on a call from an ENT  for an appointment to see whats the deal. If I were you I would hold out on the surgery, i think the hypochondria we are all experiencing is also a root cause to all this, as stress levels do cause inflammation in the thyroid, hence the rubbing against something, hence the click in the throat. Stay strong and healthy!
Well I guess we are all out of luck. People think we are crazy. It first happened to me (that I can remember) when I was 11 going to see Batman and Robin in theatres. Bulge popping out of my neck while I was yawning. I couldn't even ask for help in the back of the car because it hurt so bad. Obviously I wasn't working out at the time. It must have to do with genetics to some degree.This has happened at least 10 times in my life now being 26 years of age. I hate that no one has a f' ing reason or solution. If our PhD's will not figure it out for us we have nothing to lose coming together for a solution.
-***@****
This is fascinating. When I met my future husband in 1993- he was 28- he had endured this condition for years. I  am a PA, and to me it sounded like a dislocation of cartilage. He is 6'5' with a thin body habitus and long neck and I thought this could be related. (I even considered Marfan like symptoms)  During my training I ran it by several ENTs. None had any idea of this condition. My husband would feel a pain, a disconcerting sense of panic, and then readjust the cartilage. This condition he experience for approximately 15 years, then it stopped.  Last night, our 16 year old son told us he had been having a pain and needs to "readjust" the the bones? cartilage? in his neck. We had never mentioned his dad's experience with this to him, so he had no idea that his dad had the same problem years ago.  Now I am certain there is a congenital component. Perhaps a congenital elongation of the cornu cartilage? Have studies been done on this?
I was so thankful to find this trail.   After a horrific experience last night I searched "dislocated throat", "dislocated esophogus" and "dislocated trachea" - finally figuring out my hyoid was the problem!  I want to describe my experience so that others may find comfort in knowing they are not alone - as I did.   I was lying on my back in bed with my husband sitting up against the headboard next to me - on my right.   I was actually chewing a melatonin so I could fall asleep easily.  (Yeah - right)  While still lying on my bck - I looked up and to the right at myhusband and swallowed.   Wow!  Something popped and I had no idea what had happened.  It felt like my throat was out of place and all the muscles on the left side of my neck were tense.   I sat up - ended up on my knees on the floor and stupidly thought that swallowing again might straighten things out.  Wow!  That is a whole lot of pain!!  My husband had no clue what to do - but as I could breathe (He asked several times) - he stood awaiting instructions.   Having no clue what was happening - I mostly felt like I needed to relax my neck to get whatever was out of place back in place.   I tried a warm cloth (delivered by my husband) and a microwave warmed neck wrap (what a prince).   I can't say these were the solution - but after trying several positions (sitting up -not good, right side - not good, left side - not good - back flat on my back - tolerable) I jut rested - did my Lamaz breathing - kicked my feet like crazy whenever I had to swallow the inordinate amount of saliva bulding up in my mouth  (swallowing NOT GOOD).  With intense massage by me from my temples, down through my jaw and gentle but firm pressure on my neck, things started to relax and finally the pain resolved enough for me to fall alseep.  I never felt anything "pop" back in - but I was able to rest.   This chain was a huge relief to me and the prince to know that while I am still a lemon overall - I am not the only one who has experienced this.  My big fear now is that it will someday happen again.   Not saying anything specific about the article - but this posting has an awesome picture of where all the pain was connected to the hyoid bone being out of place - temples, jaw, shoulders - OUCH!  http://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/pain/maxillofacial/hyoid-bone-syndrome
Hi, I have been experiencing a very similar thing with my throat. It started at 10 years ago but happens so infrequently that I didn't bother having it checked out. Through the years though it started happening more and often. I asked my doctor about it. She didn't even bother to look or examine my neck. Just this weekend I developed a cold with a bad chest cough and now every time I cough it feels like something in my neck is poping out and I push it back in place. However the pushing it back is getting harder to do. I went to an urgent care centre for this, the first doctor said that it is just swollen nodes in my neck and told me that it is impossible for anything in my neck to move in the way i was describing it. She became irrate that i insisted there was a problem. she that she knows better because has been a doctor for 30 years. I asked to see another doctor, one that was willing to feel my neck when it happened. Another doctor came and felt my neck and said that he thinks it is my hyoid bone and so wants me to get an ultrasound and see my doctor for the results.
Dae
Hi, I have a similar problem that ocurrs when I yawn; my throat pops out and is EXTREMELY painful. Sometimes I can push it back into place, other times it has to slide in on its own. I cannot swallow when it is out as it hurts even worse. Fortunately, if I do not yawn, it does not pop out.
I have mentioned it to my doctor who thinks I am crazy, and therefore have not had any tests. It has been witnessed by my sister who said she could physically see my throat off to the side. I am lucky that it doesn't last more than 1-2 minutes. So happy to find this thread!! Please keep me posted in regards to your son. I know how bad it hurts & can't imagine it happening as often as it does to him!! Poor kid. Best of luck with a treatment.
Tara
Hi, I've had this condition for 20 years and it can be very distressing and very painful. I get the dislocation if I yawn really hard and the only thing I can do is to push the lump that comes out back in again. I'm so scarred of this happening that every time I feel a yawn coming I put my head down and try not to stretch my neck too much. This seems to stop it dislocating. I've never had any injury to my neck so I'm not sure why this started. I do have quite a long neck. I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one with this condition too, but feel sorry for the other people who suffer with this. Massaging the area after this has happened seems to give some relief to the soreness felt after, but the soreness lasts for a few days.
This happened to me in the past but was only one off and then got peace for months. In the last few days it happened to me on a daily basis whenever I yawned with my head turned left. I work now in front of two screens and often turn me head. This pain is excruciating and the feeling of panic that I can't breath doesn't help. Obviously doctors don't have a clue what that it, so would be grateful if you could advise in regards to how to deal with this.
This happens to me. I push it back in. It only happens when I'm lying down and yawning. It's horrible.

When I bring it up to a doctor, they say they've never heard of anything like it. One prescribed me muscle relaxers. Didn't do anything.
This is so weird SO many people have this problem! I recently started getting it when I yawn. Only sometimes though like if im laying down. I yawn but then when I go to swallow it hurts and feels like my throat is out of place. I press on the side of the throat... it pops a little and goes away! what the hell is it!? lol I hate it
I've also had this problem myself.
It feels like the bone in my neck (my hyoid) is moving around pretty much every day, and if I lay the wrong way it will actually pop and move and cause excruciating pain.
I went to my doctor and after similar rounds of tests, he told me that the most likely cause of this is that my hyoid bone was actually ASYMMETRICAL (meaning not equal on both sides). So instead of being shaped like a horseshoe, which is normal, mine was either more like a fishhook, or that perhaps it was more of a bent horseshoe, which caused it to move differently in my neck.
I was told it was not serious, unless it moves majorly and makes contact with something else in my throat.
The best thing I've found to do is simply move it around occasionally with my fingers/hand. I have to do it myself though, because no one else knows what it feels like when it moves. Tell your son to grab his neck as though he were choking, or trying to strangle himself (sorry), but with his fingers closer to the front of his throat where the bone is. Squeeze GENTLY, and rock his hand back and forth, like you would if you were moving something across a table using only your wrist (like sliding a soda can closer to you so your cat doesn't knock it over).
It's sometimes scary, and very painful, when my hyoid moves on its own.  This is NOT medically given advice, just what I've found that works. It seems to stop the bone from moving around on its own as much.
Just tell your son to keep calm about it, and NEVER swallow frequently or forcefully when he feels the bone has moved (it will HURT and potentially cause the bone to strike something else).
HAS ANYONE ELSE ENCOUNTERED SOME PROBLEM WITH THEIR VOICE…PAIN WHEN TALKING?
Hello I'm 51 and live in Quebec Canada. I have been in pain for 4 years now feeling a horrible lump in my throat! I have almost lost the ability to talk ...each sentence gets me in more and more pain.
Also moving my head in any directions, swallowing, bumps and twists when driving my car or when I walk brings much discomfort. My social life and activities are down to zero.
The lost of my ability to talk is what has been the most difficult part of it all. One cannot imagine the damage it does to one's life…we are communicating being I have learned that!!!
I have seen many specialists with no luck like most of you and have been told to learn to live with it. Not much of a life compared to what I was used to.
Here is how it happened …I started some singing lessons, over trained once and felt some tension…I tried to relief the tension by forcing a yawn with may head pulled backwards.
I felt a violent pain like if someone had punched me in the neck. I don't remember a clicking sound ...and it seems it never really came back in place.
Lately I started stretching and moving the hyoid bone, thyroid cartilage and cricoid cartilage from right to left up and down and have started to talk with more ease.
YES....man, I'm so glad I stumbled upon this article. This has been an intermittent problem for several years. I've tried all kinds of moves to place what I thought was a ligament back to the correct side as it finds the way painfully stretched over my voice box; turned to the side and manipulated gently with a finger tip, head raised to to ceiling (pop) but the simplest so far...tuck my chin down to my shoulder bone without exerting much force. Try to relax. (I know, I know...) The problem self-corrects and I am left with only the temporary residual soreness everyone here is probably familiar with.

Now I finally know WHAT is going on when this happens, have always been mystified as to how it is I could be yawning incorrectly...
Dont trust the radiologists!    I was in a car accident 6 month ago and got my MR images.   About a month ago I was stunned to see bone shards in my left shoulder MRI.  

I went to look at brachial plexus MRI and was stunned to see the shards in my throat.    

I had gone to ENT two months ago and explained I had a fractured submandiular salivary gland as when I eat or brush teeth since the accident my gland swells.  He said it had to have been peirced with bullet and is a rare injury unrelated to car accident.   He put scope down my throat and saw nothing.  duh the bones were on the outside of my throat.  Guess what ENT?  it was bone shards which peirced it.  

I'm so dumbfounded as I went for CT scan last week with specific instructions for protocol to get clearest images for my own software.   They ignored my written orders on consent form as as a result they took thicker slices with gaps.   Make a long story short there are bones from I think my first ribs in my throat, as well as little shards of bone.  

So if anyone knows a good surgeon in NYC please let me know.  This bone business in my throat is driving me crazy.  I don't even want to look at my hyoid bone in my CT scan images as every time I look at the images, I see more and more of what the radiologists missed 6 months ago, fractured arms broken vertebra,, etc

Whenever you get scanned for MR or CT  make sure you get thin slices and write down gapless on your consent form.  There are great programs out there, like OSIRIX which runs on mac platform.   Review your own images.

The CT place reconstructed my images into blurrier images.  Now its a battle as I revoked my assignment of benefits and refuse their radiologist look at my images until and unless they give me the thinnest axial images which are gapless.   They are not permitted to put reconstructions of my images in my health records because those reconstructs only serve to help them get away with vague, inconclusive, and erroneous reports.

Best of luck to everyone and supervise the radiologists yourself with your own images and viewing software
Hello everyone, so thankful for all your posts!!!
I had a visit to the ER because of this problem I was unable to push it back this time. I ended up staying all night @ the ER with doctors that had no clue, they ended up giving me a lot of pain medication including valium and morphine. After a ct scan without results they gave me more pain medication and told me to try to sleep it off. My husband explaint to them that it happened to me before but this time I was unable to push it back. Eventually I was able to sleep and it finally went away. A day and a half later I am extremely sore with all the previously mentioned symptoms and pain. They never heard of this condition before.  If anybody knows a good specialist in North Carolina, that has experience with this problem, please let me know. Thank you for all your posts and helpful tips.
I am afraid to go to the doctor because i can easily move mine to the left and right, and it gets stuck, i get giddy, then really queazy.  If the doctor does this to me, and he moves it too far to a place i never took it, i am afraid what will happen - i might cry in pain.  I go to the chiropractor for back and neck adjustments, and 90% of the time, it moves a little, and i loose my breath.  When i jump up and reposition my neck, i can breath again.
I also have had this problem for over ten years.
I do not believe it was in part due to an accident related to my throat.
I saw a enco..endo... throat specialist/plastic surgeon dude who just quickly stuck a camera in my nose and down my throat and similarly told me there was nothing out of order, and that my cartiledge was just large and my adam's apple is large (it is pretty big) and that sometimes when I yawn, the two get stuck together and I need to pop it out of place using my finger or something... which is painful. So... try not to yawn? Yeah... thanks for the ****** advice doc.

Anyhow, now I am noticing that my adams apple itself and the area underneath it where my throat turns into my chest are very very sensitive to the touch, and after having taken a job at a call center where I talk all day I definitely notice a lot more soreness in general on the throat. It's only about a 1 out of ten on the pain scale when I touch my neck, but I would love to have a resolution to this issue at some point in my life and hopefully not watch it worsen over the years or potentially die from it. If anyone has any advice on how I should proceed please do not hesitate to email me at polo.***@**** as I would appreciate the effort extremely.