Has diabetes led to arthritis/gout?
I have been very successful at keeping my blood glucose numbers in check without medication until recently.  I started having throbbing pain in the big toes of one or the other foot.  Then pain presented in my right knee.  I was told it was bursitis and was advised to take over-the-counter pain relievers.  I chose Motrin because I had good success with it during a toothache.  

When the pain reliever didn't relieve the pain, I had a session with an acupuncturist.  That also did not relieve the pain.  I then met with an orthopedic P.A. who showed me the x-ray film, pointing out two little bone spurs on either side of the knee cap, an indication of arthritis.  (I had gone online when I started getting pains in my toes and found that gout often follows diabetes.)  The P.A. wrote me a prescription for 500mg of Nabumetone, a pain killer.  When I asked what the side effects were, she said upset stomach was the most common.  However, when I filled the prescription, the warnings on the printout were extremely serious and very upsetting.

According to the printout:  WARNING:  THE RISK OF SERIOUS AND SOMETIMES FATAL HEART PROBLEMS, HEART ATTACK, AND STROKE may be increased with the use of this medicine....THE RISK OF SERIOUS AND SOMETIMES FATAL STOMACH AND BOWEL PROBLEMS, including bleeding, ulcers and holes in the stomach and bowel, is increased while using this medicine.

The warning goes on to list meds and conditions that require close monitoring during use of this new med, such as:  blood thinners (I take an aspirin a day); water pills such as hydrochlorothiazide (I take that); ACE inhibitors (such as lisinopril, which I take).  One reason I stopped taking Motrin for the pain was its own warning not to mix NSAIDS.  That led me to notice that the Bayer aspirin I've been taking daily for over 6 years is an NSAID!

I have been able to sleep by keeping an ice pack wrapped in a towel in the bed with me, pressed against my knee.  I'm more concerned that my blood glucose levels have risen dramatically during these past few weeks and I'm convinced my body is in stress trying to deal with the pain in my knee.

I'm seeing the orthopedist on Friday to explore other options.  Does anyone have any suggestions or experience to share?

Thank you in advance.