Orthopedics Community
Healed Broken Coccyx and Chronic Open Sores/Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Thank you for taking the time to look over my question.  I apologize for this being long, but I have an extensive health history.

I broke my tail bone when I was 12 on an offroad vehicle metal bar.  The break was never treated due to fear of my parents (I wasn't supposed to be there), and I dealt with the pain and bruising till the end when it healed incorrectly.  The break never caused me any real problems until I dropped a lot of weight (exposing the bone more with abscence of fat tissue) and also became mostly bed ridden due two failed lumbar fusions (ALIF and PLIF) from protruding discs.  The coccyx is protruding more outward now (towards my outer posterior region), resides more to the left, and has only a thin layer of skin over it.  Any manipulation can tell you the bone is deformed.  It now causes me a ton of pain, and also has chronic pressure sores that open.  This recent skin break was due to riding in a mini van for four 6 hour segments of a 12 hr. trip ( 24 hr. roundtrip).  This is a constant problem for years now.  I am 37 years old, not overweight, diabetes, high blood pressure, chronic back pain, hypothyroidism, etc.  I have had a total of 20 surgeries, and two live child births. I thought I would just include the major health conditions.   I already take strong medication for chronic back pain, and I am not really interested in treating the pain any further with more.  However, the chronic open sores worry me extremely.  I fear one of these many breaks will eventually cost me a terrible infection that will invade my spinal column and spread to my brain.  And, with the diabetes and other auto-immune diseases I have such a higher risk of this nightmare happening.  I am considering going to a new spine surgeon about the pain/ deformity/ sores.  I really do not want anymore surgery, no more painkillers, and I cannot take any shots of steroids due to the blood sugars I already have.  However, if I want the problem cleared up; I may consider surgery because it is starting to really effect my health and outlook on life.  I already try to avoid laying/sitting on the coccyx, but this is not totally avoidable.  I have to be able to ride in a car.  My query is this:  What are my options if I do indeed seek medical help with this?  Any other treatments that I could try outside of surgery? If I have to have surgery what is it and what are the outcomes and recovery? I have already tried the easier things (cushions, pillows, coverings, etc).  Any advice/help/suggestions with this issue would be extremely appreciated.

With Sincerest Thanks,
Angelia
Tags: healed coccyx break, open sores