Orthopedics Community
Healing process of a Dislocated pinky finger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

While catching a football at the park I dislocated my little finger at the middle knuckle (I knew that because it looked really deformed and out of place).  I used to work for an Orthopedic Surgeon as an X-Ray tech and knew what was going to happen.  I went straight to the E.R and in the same order as I expected, I had x-rays to confirm dislocation without fracture, the Dr. reduced it back in to place, although she didn't numb my finger like I had expected so it was severily painful. I was splinted and x-rays where retaken.  The Dr. told me I only needed to where the splint a couple of days. She was expexting my pain to diminish after it was reduced. But it was really tender and painful if I touched it or moved it. I asked if there could be a hairline fracture that was not seen on xray she said yes. Well, it's been 6 days I can not make a fist, still very tender and painful, and it's crooked on the side, It feels like a big knot where it was dislocated.  Do you think I might have torn a ligament? Could it have not been reduced correctly? Should I continue wearing the splint? I know I would need to wear it for a few more weeks if it was fracture and then xray it to make sure it's healed and then rehab it.  It feels like a stiff finger at the joint and needs to be pulled to pop it.  It looks like if ever get a chance to make a fist again that my little finger will cross over my ring finger.
you should splint it for 2 weeks.. to immobilize it.. and then try exercising after 2 wks by grabing a ball.. u nid 2 weeks for your finger capsule to heal. take calcium for beter healing
you could have damaged the volar plate a small ligament that controls the hyper extension of the fingers
I've done exactly the same thing.  I popped it back in place myself immediately and haven't been to have it x-rayed because it seemed ok besides some swelling and a bit of bruising.  It's now been just over a week and it I thought it was healing well but after the swelling went down I'm still left with a lump on one side.  It's pretty solid as if it might be bone. Is this likely? If it's bone, how does it heal? Am I likely to be permanently lumpy or could it still recede?  
has it healed? this happened to me 3 weeks ago and it seems to be healing but it still feels pain and i cannot make a fist yet? have you gone to get your x-ray? please reply
i to have had my little finger dislocated.The dr froze it to set it back into place,so it was numb and couldn't feel anything.Well its going on 3 weeks and its still tender and I can't bend my little finger like it use to.I also can't make a fist and the knuckle on that finger doesn't look like it use to (normal)The dr i seen said it wasn't broken as i had it xrayed,but he never mentioned anything about exercising it.I've been looking on the internet for some king of exercises,other then that i'm just bending the little finger so many times a day in hopes this works.Could anyone let me know what type of exercises that would help and also does the finger once dislocated ever go back to normal again?
I dislocated my ring finger and broke part of the bone off as well, That was 4 weeks ago and i have just had my splint off......My god is it sore! I have been told that i can take upto 18 months till its like it was but some times you will never get it 100%
I dislocated my pinkie about 5 months ago and it's still just as swollen as it was the night it happened. It doesn't bend well and is still painful if I force it to bend. It also has a purple tint as if it doesn't have proper circulation. The xray didn't show any fracture either. Doc had me tape together to my next finger for 2 days and said It'd be all good. He lied.  
I dislocated my pinky finger 5 weeks ago.  From joint to tip was perpendicular to bottom of finger.  Was so horrified, I pulled up and put it back in place and iced it, but hurt so badly I went to the ER.  X-ray showed no break and they said I did a really good job (straight).  Taped it to a splint and told me to ice every 2 hours for 20 minutes and wear splint for 2 days.  Talked to a friend of mine who is an orthopedic NP on the third day and he said it looked good, but to buddy splint, as this is much more stable than a splint.  Told me to buddy tape and continue icing daily for 4-6 weeks.  Went to the orthopedic clinic the 5th week because joint still swollen and still painful and hard to bend.  They took another x-ray and said it looked good.  Told me to ice, take an anti-inflammatory and exercise by trying to make a fist, but not force.  Another appt was scheduled for week 9 and I was asked to try to be able to make a fist by then.  I can now touch my finger to my palm as I make a fist, but still can't tighten without hurting and joint still swollen and bruised.  I am using a foam column to squeeze to exercise.  I read that full healing can take 16-18 months and the joint may remain larger.  My friend and the clinic provider both said not to push it as soft tissue injury needs time to heal.  They said to ice and take anti-inflammatory when pain and protect the finger if doing activities that could re-injure.  Hope this helps.
I dislocated my pinky about a month ago while playing volleyball. It was rather neat as the finger bent nearly 90 degrees to the side. Surprisingly (and fortunately) there was essentially no pain, and after a short while it snapped back into place on its own.

I then iced it and buddy taped it, and went to have it looked at.

After examination and x-ray I was told that there was no fracture and it would just take time for the soft tissue damage to heal.

Over the next week or so it felt like the finger would easily dislocate again but now it's feeling much stronger. I can bend the finger fine, although not quite as much as the other (uninjured) pinky.

The knuckle, however is still swollen with a bit of a "knob" projecting toward the neighboring finger. If I squeeze it, there's some tenderness, but not much. Is this prolonged swelling normal and can I expect it to eventually subside? Is it possible that some cartilage also moved out of place and that's what's causing the deformation of the knuckle?

Thanks.
Hey I got a sprained pinky and I did what you told me to do, it didnt heal and i did everything what should I do now?