Orthopedics Community
Heel pains..when walking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Heel pains..when walking

Hi. I am 35 years old. No problems in the past with my feet, not so far. My mum has arthritis.

I wear excellent quality shoes in general, with lot of padding in the heel area, and when not being fashionable, also the balls of my feet, and arch support etc (with Asics). When dressed formally, I have invested in very high quality shoes such as John Lobb and Alden.

Recently. however, if I walk for more than an hour or so, my heels have a vague pain. Not harsh or uncontrollable, but achy enough to make me walk cautiously.

What can I do? Can i just apply a cream or something that will get rid of this?

Thanks!
Hi there!

Well, on a general note, formal shoes are not meant for long distance walk since most of these are not designed to support the foot arch like sport shoes, however padded they might be. You may try resting the foot and keeping it elevated for some time. Foot massage may also be beneficial. If your symptoms do not seem to get better in a few days or get aggravated, I would suggest consulting an orthopedician to rule out secondary causes like plantar fasciitis, stress fractures, spurs, heel pad syndrome etc. If a secondary cause is diagnosed, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thanks! Can;t help walking in formal shoes. My job demands it :(

Anyway, I heard about "Z-Coil" shoes. Are they any good? (If I can find them in my part of the world at all)

Hi again!

Though I do not have close experience with them, z-coil shoes have built in orthotic devices and allegedly these can be adjusted for individual variations in the shape of the foot. Shoes that raise the heels without adjusting the level of the front part of the foot are not advised. An ideal shoe would be one that provides support for the entire foot (the heel as well as the front part) so that weight gets equally distributed and maintains the normal foot arch (as holding the foot against a flat surface without any pressure), so that the shape of the shoe precisely complements the shape of the under surface of the foot. If these shoes fit into the criteria and you are comfortable wearing them, you may give them a try.
Hope this was useful.

Take care!