Orthopedics Community
Help! Ulna Shortening

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Help! Ulna Shortening

8844684?1360837617
I had an ulna shortening 6 months ago and the bone has since seperated and is jaggered, I have seen my surgeon twice since and he assures me that it is strong. They took 5mm of bone out and when xrayed at six weeks you couldnt even see the cut in the bone. Now at six months the gap in the bone is7mm (2mm longer than to begin with.) and the pain is incredible. They constantly tell me to take endone tablets but I cant live on the tablets. I have attached photo for all to look at, I have been to two seperate hospitals and they believe that there is a big issue but tell me I have to see the same surgeon. ???
Hi there!

Yes there appears to be a gap and the site of fracture has not healed. Well, since it has already been 6 months since the surgery, healing is unlikely to take place without interventional/ surgical procedures such as bone stimulators, grafts etc. It is best advised to seek a review with your treating orthopedician for suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you so much for your feedback. Unfortunately they don't want to do anything now, they still think the surgery was a success. So disappointing... Since the surgery I have developed tennis elbow, and shoulder pain as well as anxiety from the stress as they won't listen to the pain I am in. Any recommendations??