Orthopedics Community
Help please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Help please

Hi everybody I fractured my right middle phalange and finger in a oblique way in middle of August. My two options were to get surgery to make it straight or leave it and it'll heal crooked. I went ahead with the surgery and he placed two pins in order for it to become straight and heal correctly. 3 weeks after, i went to my first check up and he unwrapped my finger and pulled out the pins.

I was shocked and pretty pissed to see that the x-ray and my actual finger looked the same as it did before surgery! My OT told me the pins i guess was unsuccessful with making it straight and that my finger healed back that way.. So this whole time i have been going to PT and i have decided two weeks prior that i wanted to do surgery again to make it straight. He said he would have to re break my finger and he'd have to put a screw in order for it to heal straight and said everything would be okay. But as you can see above, he said that before and he was wrong BIG TIME!

So my surgery is tomorrow and i have just barely came upon this forum.. its so hard to find any information about this topic! But anyways, after reading some comments on a related question I am thinking about cancelling the surgery due to this forum of people saying there is a HIGH chance of me not getting my ROM back at all.

The only and pretty much MAIN reason i want surgery is to make my finger straight again because when i make a fist it bends to my right about 15 degrees.

My range of motion is about 85% back and i can pretty much touch my palm.

I needed suggestions on my decision..  like i said my ROM is pretty good its just that my finger is still crooked! and after reading all of this people are stating that there is a very high chance my motion wont come back! and to top it off the re breaking the finger part sounds like it'll have a bad effect on me in the future..

I can still do surgery to it but for now i believe I'm going to cancel it tomorrow. Reply back on whether i should go ahead with the surgery or just leave my finger as crooked as it is with pretty good ROM.

Thank you all!