Orthopedics Community
Help with Post-Piriformis Surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Help with Post-Piriformis Surgery

I have had both left and right piriformis release surgery.  My right one was done about 2 1/2 years ago.  I still have no relief and have seen the surgeon on many occasions.  I have tried post-op injections, therapy, medicines, all with no relief.  The pain is becoming unbearable.  It starts in the buttocks and travels down the leg as it did pre-op.  Is there anything else that can be done?  Can the piriformis be removed entirely or can the nerve be re-sectioned?  Please help.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is thought that the piriformis muscle tendon may be tethering the sciatic nerve, and causing an irritation to the nerve.

As your pain is not relieved by the surgery you have to ask your orthopaedician to think about other options for treatment: spine problems (including herniated discs, spinal stenosis, etc.), sciatica, and tendonitis.

The diagnosis of piriformis syndrome is often given when all of these diagnoses are eliminated as possible causes of pain.

Piriformis is an important muscle and removing it will cause loss in external rotation (turning out) of the hip joint. Sciatic nerve is the major nerve of the lower limb.

Discuss all options with your surgeon and go for the treament after proper diagnosis. Take care!