Orthopedics Community
Herniated disc L4-L5 and Hip Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Herniated disc L4-L5 and Hip Pain

I've had hip pain for months in both hips.  I've had burning pain and it hurts in the joint and was tender to the touch at one point.  The right is worse so I had an MRI and everything looks great. There is one sentence in here that reads There is a small right hip joing effusion.  What does that mean?  

Can this kid of hip pain come from a small paracentral herniated disc at the L4-L5 level?

I recently had 2 epidurals to try and treat this.  The first one was on the right side on 6/24.  Pain was better for about a week after 2 weeks.  I had another one done on 8/5  (they did both sides).  I got a jolting nerve shock down my left leg into my foot when dr. did that side.  Dr. said that was a good sign as medication was getting into inflammed area.  IT brought me to tears.  I have had no relief from my hip pain at all. The dr. that did the epidural said the herniated disc could cause my hips to burn.  I don't know what else to do.
Have you tried chiropractic therapy? I have severe back problems, herniated disc have had surgery more herniated disc, neuropathy and I have problems with pain in my hips when my back is out of place. When my back is out on one side I have more pain on the other. It was explained to me that it was from the muscles and tendons being pulled. And yes when you have a herniated disc it is very easy to go out of place. If you do go to a chiropractor make sure they are a good one and will not force the back into place and let them know about the disc. Best wishes. Hope this helps.

Sissie
Hi there!

Effusion refers to increased amount of fluid (synovial fluid) that is normally present in the joint. Increased amount of fluid could occur in a few conditions such as infections/ inflammation, a few degenerative conditions, cyst formation etc. A small effusion may not be of much clinical significance and is likely to be due to a resolving inflammation. The kind of pain you describe is unlikely to due to a ‘small paracentral’ herniated disc, unless there is pressure on the associated nerve roots or significant protrusion into the spinal canal; though this can cause back pain due to inflammation. I am not sure if you are seeing an orthopedician at this stage; in case you are I would suggest getting a second opinion with the MRI reports. It is only after the cause of the hip pain can be confirmed definitely, that a management plan can be suggested. Meanwhile I would advise avoiding stress on the hip joint. You could also use warm-compresses or NSAIDS for pain relief.
Hope this was helpful.

Take care!
Thank you.  I actually made an appt. with chiropractor for last night but due to hurricane situation I had to cancel.  I will do that next week.
Thank you for responding.  The herniated disc may be impacting the nerve root per the MRI.  This is my second dr.  I switched due to not being spoken to properly.  The 2nd one has really tried to help me.  I rode a stationary bike for less than 10 minutes 3 nights ago.  The dr. and I discussed to try a bike instead of walking.  The next morning I woke up and was worse and still am.  I don't know what else to do.  
Here is a link to the chiro I go to http://www.lifestylewellnesscenter.com The way he adjust is by putting wedges under your hips while laying face down to drain the fluids out of where they are not supposed to be after that he barely touches me and I pop from head to toe. His web site may give you an idea of what to look for in your area. Best wishes.

Sissie
Hi there!

Well, if the disc is causing pressure on the nerve roots, it is unlikely to be ‘a small herniation’ and in such a case it may be the cause of the hip pain but I would still suggest ruling out other possibilities as well, as mentioned in the previous post. It would be difficult for me to comment beyond without knowing the exact details. You may consider discussing with your doctor if interventional/ surgical options could be considered for the herniation to relieve pressure from the nerve roots.
Hope this is useful.

Take care!