Orthopedics Community
Hip Labral Tear Surgery Recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hip Labral Tear Surgery Recovery

I am a 34 year old female who had a hip scope done on 10/14/10 and in the surgery had two hip labral tears repaired and bone shaving for impingement. I am almost 2 weeks post-op and had two semi slips on my crutches and I am very worried that I retore my labral tears. I had an appt yesterday and the PA said that most likely I didn't tear it but couldn't confirm this. I am wondering if there are others out there that have had this surgery and have had tears during the healing process. Is this common? Or is it typical to feel the labral type tear pain that you had pre-surgery since I just had surgery and bone shaving done 2 weeks ago?
Hi, I'm a 34 yr old male who is about 2.5 weeks out from my second labral repair surgery.  I had the first one a year ago and it opened up.  I didn't realize it tore a second time until about 6 months after the surgery when increasing pain motivated me to have another mri.  In hindsight I think I can pinpoint the time during the first three weeks of recover when the tear occurred.  As I was initially improving I gained the ability to lay on my back and do a straight leg lift with the healing leg.. but something happened after a week of work and doing too much on crutches. The next week at PT I couldn't budge my leg at all.. there was absolutely no way I could lift it at all.  This was probably when it opened up again.  I continued to heal and ended doing ok until pain came back..  After this second surgery the surgeon told me there was a bone spur and a tear which was cleaned and repaired.  I believe that it is possible that the bone spur was missed in the previous surgery and that is was actually caused the second tear.  But the symptom was complete lack of moment in my case.  

Now I'm healing fine and feeling much better than last time.  I still have some slight clicking with certain movements but I will address that with the PT this coming Wed.  (I'm currently looking for people who have had the procedure yet still have some slight clicking in the early stages of recovery, or did and still made a strong recovery)