ORTHOPEDICS
COMMUNITY
Hip Labral Tear Surgery
by dbvf, Sep 04, 2008
Finally, after two years of hip & groin pain, my daughter was diagnosed as having a hip labral tear.  She is a collegiate athlete as a pole vaulter and is concerned about the long recovery of having the tear repaired surgically.  Has anyone recently had this surgery that can relay their recovery experience?  As an athlete, she is in excellent physical shape...but is worried about muscle atrophy and being able to be back to a competitive level in 3 months.
Member Comments (44)
by dr_simran, Sep 04, 2008
Hello dbvf,

The other name is Acetabular Labral Tear. Labral tears frequently take place in the front and top segments of the labrum. Hip labral (labrum) tear is a medical condition within the hip where a sort of cartilage takes place.
Injury is a damage caused by an outsidepressure/factor/source to a specific body part.  All do all otherinjuries, hip labral tear injury causes a mild to severe pain withinthe hip area.
Hip labral tear (acetabular labral tear ) are more common among women.  However the people with hip structure abnormalities may develop hip labral tear more frequently.

Refer: http://hiplabraltear.com/nm-Hip_Labral_Tear_Overview_Acetabular_Labral_Tear-cp-2

Best

by mom0987, Oct 13, 2008
who is the BEST doctor to perform the hip labral tear arthoscopy surgery....son is water polo player in college, 19 years old....will go any where--need doctor with TONS of experience
by Brenlou74, Oct 22, 2008
For the Acetabluar Labral Tear, how long is the recovery time after the surgery?  My physical therapist, chiropractor and my PCP all believe that this is what I have ( I am currently waiting for the MRI results)  I am trying to prepare my family and work for the worst case scenerio.

Thanks!!
by JAD07, Nov 04, 2008
According to the research I've done and my doctor, there are only about 7-10 places that perform this surgery in the nation. My doctor, Dr. Robert Thornberry, is in Tallahassee, FL and seems to have done a great job. You can find out more about him and his practice at www.tlhoc.com. Because the procedure is new compared to other types of surgeries, I'm not sure that there's really anyone that could be recommended as having tons of experience. I'm only two months post-op but I'm healing and slowly feeling better.

Hope this helps!  
by JAD07, Nov 04, 2008
It took about five months of my being mostly bed-ridden before doctors figured out I had a labral tear in my left hip. I'm two months post-op and am SLOWLY recovering. My physical therapist told me that it would be AT LEAST six to eight weeks from the time I started therapy to even begin doing small things like standing long enough to cook a meal. She also told me that she doesn't expect me to FULLY recover my strength and range of motion for about a year. My doctor told me that I should avoid doing any high-impact exercises like running, jumping, etc. because my hip is now more prone to injury. He also told me that about 1/3 of people with labral tears end up needing hip replacements within five years from the time they had the tear repaired.

Although I was in good shape before this happened, my experience may differ greatly from others' because my muscles became really weak during the time I couldn't function. But one of the biggest things I've learned during this experience is that doctors aren't really sure how long it takes patients to recover from this particular surgery. My doctor told me that if I had had the same surgery in my knee or shoulder, he could tell me exactly how long it would take to heal but that he had no idea how long it might take since this was done in my hip. This procedure just hasn't been around long enough for them to know.

by K70, Jan 30, 2009
I was diagnosed with a hip labral tear, but it has felt better recently and I am even able to run on it. I qualified for the Boston marathon and would like to run it, but I don't want to do anything crazy. If it doesn't hurt now, is there anything wrong with continuing to run on it?
by dnh, Feb 09, 2009
I was diagnosed with a hip labral tear a few years ago but did not need surgery at the time.   The best Doctor is Bryan Kelly at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC.  He recently repaired Chase Utley's tear as well as other top athletes.  
by redohip, May 12, 2009
I am 3 wks post-op after living w/a severe tear and Synovial damage.  I felt relieve the next day as far as the improved ability to sleep! 2 ½ wks on crutches; pool therapy now for a month. It looked very chewed up from the scope; couldn't have repaired on it's own. Just would have been much worse!
by BRS22, Oct 13, 2009
You have to take into account not every one is the same. It depend on the degree of the tear and your pain tollerance before and after the surgery. The best case scenario is 8 to 12 weeks of crutches and then moving on from there. I have been dealing with with a larbrum tear for the last year and a half. I had been misdiagnosed until Sept 26, 2009. My tear is due to strenuous activity and heavy lifting from the military. I have always been and active person. My pain was at a 10 nearly everyday but i couldn't afford to be bed ridden. I gradually got used to the pain and now its an annoyance. But I am happy to finally be fixing the problem.

Everybody should remember they are different. We all heal at different rates, and how well your doc opperates make a difference as well.