Orthopedics Community
Hip/back pain and spot on Xray

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hip/back pain and spot on Xray

I'm a fairly healthy 36 year old female.  About one month ago I woke up with extreme lower back pain that felt like it was probably radiating from my left hip.  I have had similar problems a few other times in my life, but could usually pinpoint when I injured myself, such as lifting something heavy.  In the past a few days rest, and sometimes an adjustment or two from a chiropractor have done the trick.  This time the pain has persisted in my left hip, with my lower back feeling a little better.  The pain is most problematic when I stand still for any lenght of time, and my left hip actually feels better at night when I lie on that side.  My doctor ordered an X-ray and some kind of a spot was located on my hip.  I have a MRI scheduled in one week, but it seemed to me like the doctor was being very vague about what they think the problem might be.  They are actually doing MRI's on both hips and my lower lombard.  Is this normal procedure for something like this, and if the MRI doesn't show anything what is the next step to help alleviate this pain?  It is negatively impacting my work and home life, as it is difficult to get anything done without aggravating the hip.
  I have the exact same symptoms and I am your age.  Did you get a diagnosis?
Do you also have a cough or have trouble breathing?  The reason I say this is because my sister-in-law who is only in her 40s has had the same symptoms, but is unable to have an MRI.  A bone scan was normal; however, further tests uncovered a dark spot - some sort of growth.  She has subsequently developed a chronic cough with difficulty breathing.  Today we were told her lung has nodules which most likely are cancerous and that it spread from the hip.  How can this possibly happen!  She has been dealing with the hip pain since last fall and only now have they actually done something about it.  We are devastated over the neglect in letting this go so far.  Please pray for her and her family.  She has three disabled children and a devoted husband.  

If you now have a diagnosis, please post it.  I am grasping at straws trying to figure this out.  If you don't, do not let this slide.