Hip pain - bursitis or stress fracture
I have had ongoing problems with my hip and now leg and SI for 18 months.

It started with what felt like an SI sprain when I was running - I iced it, went to PT and it resolved in a matter of days.  A few months later, I started having excruciating hip pain when I went from sitting to standing.  Gradually, this became more constant with sitting, standing and walking but was relieved completely from lying down.

I developed some lower leg pain as well as time went on.  MRI of my lumbar spine shows L5/S1 disc degeneration with moderate neuroforaminal encroachment and my pelvic MRI was negative for any sciatic related problem.  I had a few epidurals with no relief.  I had a trochanteric bursitis injection that has enabled me to sit without pain but standing is still a problem.

I have no back pain but occassionally feel some tightness and achiness in the related SI area.  My most severe pain is definitely my hip.  If I take weight off of it with crutches, it feels okay.  

Can bursitis cause all this?  Would my pelvic MRI have shown a stress fracture in my hip?  Should I be on crutches if it hurts?

I can get good relief from 800mg ibuprofen and have been taking it for a year or so now 1-3 times a day.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Helo Dear,
Trochanteric bursitis may cause lateral hip pain can often be elicited by passive external rotation of the hip.Groin pain or referred knee pain provoked by passive internal rotation.You should go in for a MRI or a x-ray to rule out any fracture.You should consult an orthopedic physicianand undergo the investigations.The  treatment will be decided once the diagnosis is done.
Best

I was just diagnosed with bursitis of greater trochanter(hip), he gave me injections in both hips and man was it ever a magic bullit for me!