Orthopedics Community
Hip replacement after SCFE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hip replacement after SCFE

It was so long ago, I vaguely remember the doctor telling me I may need hip replacement later in life.  In my teens I had both hips pinned due to SCFE (4 pins in each hip). I've lived somewhat a normal life with the exception my right leg is turned out restricting me to do certain activities such as biking. I do a lot of hiking both on my job and recreational. Now over 35 years since my surgery,  I'm having pain in my right hip as I'm walking. It helps to hold my leg or add pressure to the hip area while I walk, but it still hurts. I haven't been to a doctor recently concerning this, kinda hoping it would just go away...but it hasn't.  If anyone has had hip replacement due to adolescent SCFE, I would appreciate any input on what to expect before, during and after the surgery. Cost, rehab time, anything and everything you can think of. Thanks!
Hi there!

A few patients may need to undergo hip replacement due to complications/ severely affected joint due to SCFE. I am not sure if it would be required at this stage in your case. I would suggest an initial evaluation by an orthopedician to get an opinion as to what could be the possible cause and the suggested management. As for the hip replacement, it would require 3-7 day hospital stay after which physiotherapy is initiated; while complete recovery may take almost 3-6 months.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!