Orthopedics Community
Hip replacement for overweight patient

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hip replacement for overweight patient

I am looking for a surgeon in Southern California (May be willing to travel if all other possibilities become exhausted)  the patient is a 62 year old female that is near 300lbs. She has been seeing a surgeon for 2-3 years that is willing to do the surgery if she loses another 80-100lbs (she's already managed to lose over 100 on her own) however, she has reached a point where the bones are so severely deteriorated and dying inside of her that she is almost completely bed ridden, in constant pain and her quality if life is quickly diminishing.

We NEED to find a surgeon ASAP, a lap and surgery has been recommended however, eating is something that she can barely do, so it seems that shrinking her stomach is not the issue that needs to be tended to, I can only get her to eat a few bites per day at this point!

Things are critical, I need help to find someone willing to do the surgery although the risks are greater than if she were lighter. She is willing to sign any paperwork, take any risks, and not hold any surgeon accountable if something were to go wrong due to the weight or healing, etc.

Please, I need advice, direction, guidance! I love her very much and can't stand to see her in pain like this anymore and am also concerned about the amount of pain meds needed at this point and her inability to eat or get out of bed!!!!

Please let me know of ANY suggestions!

Thank you!
Hi!
If the person you are discussing does not eat much and is yet overweight, there is a possibility that she suffers from an underlying problem such as diabetes, cholesterol problems, thyroid issues, anemia, kidney issues, polycystic ovary, adrenal gland issues and liver issues. All these can cause unaccustomed and intractable weight gain.
Before she opts for any surgery, these issues must be addressed and ruled out or treated. If she does not eat much then lap band may not help. However, treating the cause of obesity may help. Please discuss with her doctor. Once, the cause is treated, she may lose weight through exercises like swimming (if possible), and other exercises not involving the hip. Physiotherapy may help also. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.