Orthopedics Community
How can I tell if I broke my pinky finger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I jammed my pinky finger last night upwards towards my body.  I immediately iced it for half an hour and it only swelled a little.  This morning, the swelling is not worse (just a little under the nuckle).  I can bend it but it hurts.  I think I just sprained or bruised it but is it possible I broke it even if I can bend it?  I don't want to go to the DR for just a sprain. Do I need to x-ray it or can I wait a few days and see if it gets better on it's own?
Ames
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Do not bend the finger and if there is any fracture you will dislocate it. Go for an X-ray when you are in doubt and if there is no fracture you can continue using icepacks and anti inflammatory drugs to cure yourself.

If there is a fracture go for an orthopedic examination.

Take care!