Orthopedics Community
How long can I safely wait to have wrist surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I broke my radius/wrist 9 days ago after falling of a small step ladder.  I met with a specialist and they x-rayed and ct scanned my wrist.  I have a  break in the radius and the break impacted a bit.  The dr. thinks surgery is the best option.  I've had a cast for the last 7 days.  This dr. is pressuring me to have surgery this week, just before he goes on holiday for christmas.  I haveasked to have surgery 6 days later, after the holiday...they have not given me a real reason why I should not wait.  The scheduler for surgery was going to give me the latter date for surgery but changed it to the first date.  I want the surgery 18 days out from my injury.  Is this ok?  What is the normal period of time you can wait to have wrist surgery...if it is 4 days passed two weeks, will that change my final outcome or do me harm?
Hi there!

A surgery is largely advised when it is believed that the bone may not heal well on its own or would heal with a deformity. Well, if you have to have a surgery, the sooner you have it the better are the chances of healing. It is advised to have the surgery within a week of the injury or maximum within two weeks. Delayed repair may nor heal as well or may heal with deformity. You may like to discuss it with your treating orthopedic surgeon.
Hope this information is helpful.

Take care!