Orthopedics Community
How long does it take for the swelling to subside after breaking an ank...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

How long does it take for the swelling to subside after breaking an ankle?

I broke my ankle (tib + fib) 4.5 months ago. I had 2 surgeries with ORIF and an external fixator device on for 2 months post-op. 12-weeks after the 2nd surgery, I began walking using a protective boot. I am now able to walk without a boot. It has been almost 5 months since I broke my ankle and the swelling has not gone away. My ankle and foot become very swolen after being at work the entire day (sitting in front of a computer). I try to keep the foot elevated and iced when I'm at home and this seems to help a little bit. It feels like I've made progress with being able to walk again, but the swelling has not subsided at all.
I have a crushed left foot I was run over by a forklift.  I to have had horrible swelling which is very painful.  The solution I found was comprssion stockings.  You can see an OT which fo this stuff or you can also buy standard ones at the Chemist the brand is JOBST.
They are not nice to wear and drive you nuts but really help.  I had to wear them for 18mohts and now always carry one with me to put on when it gets real bad.
Good Luck