Orthopedics Community
How to patellar tendonitis rehab

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

How to patellar tendonitis rehab

About two years ago I was diagnosed with patellar tendonitis as a result of running to much too soon.  Now I am trying to get back into walking and running, I've started walking on a treadmill 4 miles a day (no running) and at the same time trying to stretch and strengthen my quads.  I do wall squats and I push it, but don't bend the knee too much.  The activity aggrivates the condition.  My knee feels week, but no pain.  

It seems that the things I am doing to rehab the knee cause more of a problem.  Am I doing too much, or can this discomfort be expected.
    How are you? Patellar tendinitis is an injury that affects the tendon connecting your kneecap (patella) to your shinbone. It helps your muscles extend your lower leg so that you can kick a ball, push the pedals on your bicycle and jump up in the air.  As you mentioned that you have been diagnosed two years back what was the treatment given? And do you feel improvement after the treatment?
Was physical therapy given by an expert? Because the most important part of treatment of patellar tendonitis is rehabilitation with activity modification.
Rest, adjusting your body mechanics, stretching muscles especially the quadriceps with tendon, applying a patellar tendon strap, massage etc.

Exercises can also help strengthen your quadriceps. A specific type of exercise for strengthening the quadriceps called eccentric strengthening has been shown in some studies to help treat and prevent patellar tendinitis. This strengthening exercise involves lowering weight slowly after raising it, such as a seated knee extension exercise. Don't try to work through the pain, as this can further damage your patellar tendon.
Consult a physical therapist for further assistance.
Best.

Hey Rob, I was diagnosed with patellar tendonitis about a year ago, after running and too much basketball.  I have spent much of the year rehabbing with no results.  I finally demanded an MRI and it showed I have 50% partial tears in both knees...

Get an MRI for accurate results.
I was diagnosed with patella tendonitis in both knees in Apr2009, I did some rehab but it was not sucessful. My IT band started bothering me so they did a lateral release on it which was surgical. The tendonitis is still as chronic as ever a year later. I have had 24 session of rehab which included, stretching, ultrasound, ice/electo stim and exercises. My knees still hurt the same as they did before. I have had an MRI dont and it didnt show the tendonitis. My doctor said he has no idea what to do next and to just give it time.I have one session of rehab left and am at my wits end. I cannot do stairs, squat, run, kneel or anything. What do I do??? I am SO frustrated!!
I have the same problem. I have had chronic knee problems starting in my freshman year of high school (4 years ago), when my knee cap shifted out of place almost an inch. I did 2 rounds of physical therapy which helped my knee get back into place. A few weeks later I fell on it very hard, against the side of the bath tub, and it caused me to pull my siatic (sciatic) nerve. My bad knee and whole leg went numb for about 2 months. After that, I noticed my knee was hurting more; I was beginning to fall without warning if my knee hurt or became tired. I went to a few knee specialists and had another round of rehab until they gave me an MRI. They found I had a lot of fluid in my knee cap, torn cartilage, and my patella looked like it got in a fight with a cheese grater. I had exploratory surgery and was diagnosed with tendonitis. Everything looked perfect, as my doctor said, with the exception of my tendons.

I'm incredibly frustrated. I cannot run, kneel, walk up or down stairs, walk for long periods of time, have had insomnia, and can barely drive my car (if I drive for more than 30 mins my knee gives out completely). I'm a young women yet I have the knee problems of an older person. Also, sometimes I will walk without knee pain and all of a sudden I fall. It's incredibly dangerous and very sad/frustrating to have this condition. Physical therapy doesn't help or relieve my pain, and I don't like to be looped up with pain killers. My doctor suggested a knee replacement surgery....in 20 YEARS.