Orthopedics Community
How to recover from ligament or cartilage problem?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I am 60 years old. I am a right hand person.
Around 6 months ago, my left middle finger’s middle joint and bottom joint around the knuckle areas got painful, particularly in the morning. When I tried to flex my middle finger, I can feel the joint is bouncing back and fore like a toggle switch.

In particular, my middle finger cannot fold back to touch my palm, when I am trying to hold a fist. When I try, it is painful and unable to curl back much.

My doctor has X ray and blood test for Rheumatoid Arthritis. Everything tested normal.

I have tried many different physicians, physical therapist, orthopedic specialist, none offer much. Except one athletic person suggest I have the “soft bone” problem. This is part of the ligament and cartilage problem. But he did not offer much for my problem. Can anyone out there offer any suggestions? Thank you so much.

After 6 months, now my left thumb is start having the same kind of pain too.
Around 6 months ago, my left middle finger’s middle and bottom joints around the knuckle areas, started to be painful, particularly in the morning. When I tried to bend my middle finger, I feel the joint movement not smooth, kind of snap and bounce like a toggle switch.

I am unable to fold and curl my middle finger back to touch my palm, like trying to hold a fist. When I put my finger in hot water, the joint movement is smoother and less painful. I am taking Glucosamine Hydrochloride (1500mg) plug MSN (methylsulfonylmethane 1500mg) daily, but showing no help.

My doctor has X-ray and blood test for Rheumatoid Arthritis. Everything tested normal.

I have tried and see different physicians, physical therapist, orthopedic specialists; none offer much explanation or help. Except one athletic person suggested I have the “soft bone” problem. This soft bone is suppose to be part of the ligament and cartilage tightening problem. But he did not offer much solution for my problem, except that I should have physical therapy exercise.

Can anyone out there offer any suggestions? Thank you so much.

After 8 months of daily left middle finger pains, now my left thumb starts having the same kind of pain too.
hi young707,
could u pls tell me if the problem occurs when relaxing a fist as well? u said u feel a "kind of snap", that's rt? i guess that could be a sort of trigger finger.Trigger finger is a common problem that causes pain and snapping of the tendons in the fingers.The cause of trigger finger is unclear, and can seemingly appear from nowhere. It can occur in one or more fingers, and can occur at different times in different locations.The tendons in your fingers attach to the ends of your fingers. When your forearm muscle contracts, the tendons pull the fingers into a fist. The tendons run part of their course through a sheath called the flexor tendon sheath. In patients who have a trigger finger, this mechanism of movement is not smooth.
However, pls get it confirmed from ur doctor. tell him/her, that u suspect of a trigger finger. let the doctor give a confirmation!
hope that was helpful.
thanx...
Thank you.

The movement problem is only trying to bend finger (now left middle and thumb) inwards. I can feel the joint rotation not smooth, and snap.

I have shown my problem to my Kaiser doctor, blood test, X ray. So far, nothing. In my next visit, I will ask him about this trigger finger.

Yes, I google and found many reference to trigger finger. Other than pain relief, is there any actual medication can improve this problem?

Thank you very much.
hey young707,
being a physiotherapist, i would recommend you to take some ultrasound therapy for the affected fingers, and allow them to rest. however, do consult your doctor...and yes, let me know what his views are!!! i will be waiting, so do not forget to post the comment.
take care...
thanx.
OK, thank you. I will ask my Kaiser if they have this ultrasound therapy?

Actually, I am right hander, and these affected fingers are on my left hand, which I do not use much.
Is your doctor a hand surgeon? If not, it might be a good idea to track one down.

As a side note, my father started having the same symptoms you describe.  It turned out to be a tendon problem.  The hand surgeon was the only to diagnose it, while everyone else tried to blame it on bones etc.  My father had surgey on his tendons in his hand. Now he has almost no problems except for some slight stiffness every now and again. Its been 10 years since his surgery/ Prior to going to the hand surgeon he was told that he probably had some early form of arthritis.

Don't be afraid to go to a specalist.  Especially if you do have the symptoms of trigger finger.
CelestC, thank you for your advise. Well, I have Kasier HMO. I can only get to see specialist after refer by my main care provider. This takes awhile to get to the appointment system. I am still waiting for this.
But, I heard we do not have a hand specialist.
So, I think I probably end up getting to see is the osteoarthritis specialist.
That is problem with typical American OHM health care system.
My doctor told me to take Aleve (200mg), two times a day.
Anyone out there has experiences with Aleve?