How to stop throbbing pain in ankle?
Two days ago, I sprained/fractured my ankle playing basketball. I went to the hospital and they put it into a splint, wrapped the splint up with a whit wrap, and then wrapped it all up with ace bandage. It was really tight and was in throbbing pain for that whole day but then when i went to the orthopedist the next day, he took my ankle out of the splint to examine it, then he put the splint back on with everything minus the white wrap. It felt so much better today and i was in no pain at all but the splint felt really lose so I don't know if thats bad to keep it loose? But anyways, it was fine all throughout the day today but now all of a sudden, I am getting this throbbing pain right this second. It is the same pain I have been having when the splint was tight. How do I get rid of this pain? Also i took 2 advil tablets around 2 hrs ago when it didnt hurt that much but now that it hurts a lot i was wondering if i could take a tylenol 3(tylenol-codeine) on top of those advil tablets???  thanks
Throbbing generally means there is too much inflammation (swelling) in the injured area which is being constricted either by your skin (really swollen) or a compression wrap or bandage which is too tight.  The throbbing is caused by the heart beat pumping blood to a constricted area.

R.I.C.E. is the acronym for:

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Resting means not to do any activity which causes pain as that is an indication you are re-injuring the ankle.

Ice and compression will stop the pain and stop the swelling.  Not too tight.

Elevation to keep the ankle at about the heart level will keep the blood from pooling in the ankle, thus the throbbing.

Consider buying an ice compression ankle wrap, staying off the ankle as much as possible and elevating it several times a day until it heals.

Good Luck,