Orthopedics Community
I am having knee extension problems.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I am having knee extension problems.

I am a 28-year-old active female.  Back on January 20th, 2007, my left knee give out causing me to land on my ankle breaking a bone.  I then had surgery and pins put in to hold the bone in place so that it would heal properly.  I sat in a cast for 8 weeks with my knee bent.  Each time I went to the ortho doctor I would tell him I don't have any extension in my left leg.  He didn't seem to worried about it.  When I got my cast off 8 weeks later he took one look at my foot and disappeared.  I was told by the casting lady to just walk it off.  Three days later I called back to inform my ortho doctor that I still couldn't get my foot all the way on the floor due to an extension problem.  I had to call two different times to get the scrip for my physical therapy that I was requesting myself.  (thought he was the doctor!)  I was never told to exercise my knee muscles while wearing a cast so therefore my muscles became tight not allowing me to get enough extension to walk.  I have been in physical therapy for three months now and I am still not walking.  I had a follow up appointment with my othro doctor a few days ago and was told to just keep doing physical therapy.  I was -40 when I went to physcial therapy and three months later I am at -20.  The physcial therapist is a good therapist in my opinion.  She ordered me a "dynasplint" that I wear at night to help with extension but I believe I need more than that being we have exhausted all exercises known to get my extension enabling me to walk again.  I haven't walked in six months and I am getting frustrated.  My ortho doctor doesn't seem to have a clue though he did do and MRI and found nothing wrong.  I am getting a 2nd opinion Tuesday hoping to get some relief as in finding an alternative to getting my muscles behind my knee back in shape to walk again.  I have researched and researched but no luck finding anyone with the same problems I have.  Thanks!
I am kind of going through the same problem, I had 2 surgerys - or scops on my right knee for a torn ligament, first on July 27th 2007, then again on September 19th 2007, and now after what seam like a million tests / knee injections / therapy, that I am still going 2 its not getting any better.  After I rest or when I can sleep for more then 3 hours at a time, I get up right back where I started.  its been almost 8 months.  

Hope u get better.

Rob
I'm wearing a dynasplint right now, actually.  I've had it for 3 months and it's extremly uncomfortable.  But, I was at 20 lack of ROM and I have improved to about 10.  But, now I am getting ready to have a M.U.A.  It is a knee manipulation to break up the scar tissue so I'm hoping it works although I have my doubts about weather the extension problem is even because of scar tissue of tight hamstrings,tendonitis, and fat pad impingement.  Hopefully, youre dynasplint can ive you some relief it has for me I can now at least somewhat walk instead of walking on my toes.  Good luck!!