I got a blood clot after donating blood . . .
Hello All, I donated blood at work in March. I've donated blood ever since I can remember. This time it was different. I experienced pain during the procedure and afterwards, my arm really hurt. I finally went to the doctor in April and was told that I had tendonitis. I went to a follow-up appointment two weeks later and was told that I had phlebitis. I stayed out of work for two weeks with my arm in a sling. I went back to work the first Monday in May. The pain in my arm was unbearable. I returned to the doctor the following Wednesday. He ordered an ultrasound and voila, a blood clot. Now I have DVT and have been going to physical therapy three days a week. I have lost strength and range of motion in my left. Not to mention, I have a big "lump" near my inner elbow. I am on Coumadin and can no longer take any form of hormones, ever. I am now at a greater risk for blood clots. I could go on and on. I'm out of immediate danger now. My question is this - Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks.
This is very rare, and proper care and experience should be shown by the person who is inserting the needle into you vein during blood donation. Follow up near your physician and get well soon as blood donation is the best form of donation and people should be motivated to do this and normally this procedure has no complications. Take care!
I had my blood drawn yesterday  and while the nurse was fixing to remove the needle he pushed up on it causing pain. I have now started experiencing pain in my arm where it happened and around the insertion area. Two questions, should I worry about that pain and also I had great leg pain the same night, could this be related?
yes gave blood day before yesterday at work and arm very bruised and yesterday at work my right leg from knee to almost hip is in lots of pain what could be the problem
You guys got me worried.. I had the same problem.. It's a week after i had a sample taken to get life enshurance.. My arm is bruised quite bad around the stabed area but I'm experiancing pain up til my armpit.

I'm worried...
I have never had blood clots.  I gave blood to the blood bank and 3 weeks later I was in my doctor's office with large swelling in my left calf which I had self diagnosed as a blood clot. Tests confirmed this and am now on Coumadin for 6 months  trying to get it regulated.