Orthopedics Community
I have to twist my knee & It cracks. Why!?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

In March 20, 2008 I fell at work. Hit floor hard, mainly hit R knee hard on floor, all weight went on it. They gave me an X-Ray, Ibuprofen, PT for R knee said it was ok & I was discharged from care & resumed normal work status. I started complaining of pain again shortly after. I had to drag my leg around because it would give out on me while at work. It would swell up. I kept having pain towards the inner part of my knee (where both knees rub onto each other). My case was reopened again, my employee requested that I get an MRI better & until further notice not work so that I wouldnt get more injured. I stopped working on June 17, 08. Waited a while for Worker's comp to contact me & get an MRI approved. After MRI was done, turns out all along I had a meniscus tear on my R knee, inner part (where I was complaining all along that it hurt). I had a grade 3 tear, the 2nd biggest tear there is. I waited another while before surgery was approved. On Nov. 6, 08 I had surgery to the R knee. They went in, shaved off the torn meniscus & smooth it out. Was given PT a month after. I was suppose to get 12 sessions of PT, but Worker's Comp only had approved 8. The PT dr. wanted the last 4 because my knee was "sore" for 4 days were I couldnt walk or move around much at all. Giving me such difficulty. All this time I been trying to get PT approved again for the last 4 sessions. Recently about a 1 1/2 ago my knee started up cracking. It feels like its pulling, & it causes me to have to crack it in order for me to walk ok. Most of the time, I have to hold onto something (such as a bed frame, table, wall, anything sturdy) & I guess you can say "twist" knee around til it cracks. After cracking it my knee feels way better for a bit before I have to crack it again. I dont crack it when it doesnt need it, but only when its asking for it. Ortho is trying to figure out what went wrong now. He told me there's a slight chance I could have torn the meniscus again due to the high damage it had the first time from fall.

It does hurt when I have to twist it to crack it. At times, causing me to cry. It takes me around 1min-5min for it to eventually crack after I start twisting it. The cracking noise is so disturbing that its loud & can be heard from a few feet away. Another MRI was done & Im waiting for Ortho visit on March 27 so he can tell me whats going on. Does anyone know or have an idea? Im freaking out already because the cracking noise is disgusting when you hear it. & Im tired of being home not working. The worker comp checks arent the best & they arent helping with this economy & me having to go school.

(Another way I can describe this cracking is like when you have to crack your knuckles, but way worse. & painful)
Forgot to mention as well, I work with mentally disabled behavioral kids. I am also 23 years old. Around 140lbs (doesnt seem like thats my weight but it is!) & Im 5' 3" From an average day, I have to twist it to get it crack about 5-8xs a day!
I wish this post wasn't so old! I am experiencing to a t the exact same problems. Wish I could figure out what is wrong. My case is pretty much the same as well with the workman's comp all the way to our age and build. If you do ever sign into this please let me know. It would be so helpful!