Orthopedics Community
I need help!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I need help!!!!

My mom has been to several doctors and I am at a loss. She has had blood work, MRI, bone scan, and numerous xrays of her knee. It started about 2 months ago and we still don't know. One doctor mentioned Osteomylitis and another a mass. The first doctor asked if she ever fractured her femur which she can't recall ever doing. They have seen what looks like a mass on her knee but when she went to her last doctor he said the hip. Her blood test for a tumor marker came back negative but her CEA level was slightly elevated yet she is a smoker so that in a sense can be considered normal. So one doctor is saying a tumor, one is saying an infection, another is saying he doesn't have a clue and want to send her to Shands in Gainsville. Her blood test did show a high white blood cell count. If you have any thoughts as to why my mom's knee is swollen and she can barely put any pressure on her leg than I could use all suggestions. She uses crutches and is ready for a wheelchair. Its so hard to just watch her get worse and worse.
Another question is what kind of doctor do you think she should be seeing??? Should she be seeing an orthapedic surgeon or not? HELP!
THANKS IN ADVANCE!
A lot of the comments the doctors have been saying can be correct.  The elevated blood count can be caused by infection and can explain the swelling.  However, if she could possibly have fluid on her knee, it can be drained.  It sounds like you have not seen the right doctor to take care of the problem.  What is her hemoglobin count?  I would suggest taking her to see a hemotologist.  Don't be alarmed when I tell you that.  They specialize in cancer and blood.  My mother-in-law sees one for a blood disorder.  A lot of things can be diagnosed by the blood and you may actually find out what the problem is.  I would not wait.  GOOD LUCK!   7luke2
Thanks! I am very concerned anyway, so thats okay. I am not sure what her count is but she told me that her white cell count was high and also her red blood count (is that it?) I am calling a doctor for her today. I am tired of her going from doctor to doctor and not having anyone help her. Its crazy! She needs to find one who can diagnose her and if they can't treat her then to refer her. I am going to look around for the kind of doctor you mentioned as well.
Thanks!
Paula
It turned out that she has a lesion on her femur and think that the pain in her knee is refered pain. Not sure why she has swelling there as well but I guess we will see. She had a biopsy on wednesday and we are waiting impatiently for the results. We should know by monday as she has an appointment with her primary care taker and we will see where we stand. She is in alot of pain. It seems that its her knee that hurts the most and not where the lesion is. Very confusing. They are leaning  towards cancer but until pathology comes back we really don't know what we are dealing with. I will keep you updated cause I know that from time to time people will find this post and would like to know the outcome.
Paula