Orthopedics Community
INTERNAL snapping hip syndrome

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

INTERNAL snapping hip syndrome

I have very bad pain associated with the popping noise my hip makes with sprinting, this sounds stupid but im afraid to sprint as fast as i can cause im afraid my hips going to pop, beause of the pain associated with it. My orthopedic thinks its my iliopsoas tendon snapping over one of the bones or whatever. (Internal Snapping Hip) He reccomends i do stretches and try to build up muscle. He did say something about surgery, but he says it wont be possible for me to be a great athete with the surgery? Cause if the stretching does not help i have no idea what i am going to do because it hurts so bad to sprint. Im a very very competitve softball player/pitcher, and i play some basketball. I have tried sitting out for over 6  weeks and still have the same painful popping, Has anyone had the surgery? Also when i lay on my left side with my right leg raised, if i bend my leg towards my head (knee close to head) i hear about three popping noises, then when i straighten my leg out i hear a louder popping noise.

I need opinions, Thanks!!
Tags: snapping, internal snapping hip, iliopsoas tendon, iliopsoas, hip, hip pain, help, opinions, Snapping Hip, Orthopedics
Hi there!

Well, without the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. If your orthopedician is positive that the issue is related to the muscle; physiotherapy may indeed be the best option at this time. Manipulative surgeries with the muscles or tendons may not result in 100% regain of strength and may hamper your progress as an athlete. Nevertheless it can be kept as a later option. However I would suggest ruling out other options as well that could result in symptoms such as joint laxity, injuries to the muscles/ tendons/ ligaments/ labrum, bone necrosis etc. You may like to discuss the situation and the management plan in detail with your treating orthopedician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Hi my 13 yr old daughter has had internal snapping hip syndrome for years it hurts for a few minutes when it clicks and somtimes outwards side movements pull it!! However jan last year she had a growing spout and her iliopsoas tendons became tighter she ended up in hospital on morphine! She became immobile for months!! She describes it as a pulling pain in groin and like tendons are not in correct place and need to click back into position!! They constantly click every movement and she is in agony!! It went on for 5mths and 1 day they clicked back into position and it was instant relief! She was ok for a year, just clicked now and then but went straight back in to place. Now it's starting all over again!!!??!!!! Can you hav lengthening opperation at 13yrs ????! she can't walk and is struggling on crutches missing months of school, Consultant said cant do operation till she stops growing and has put her on waiting list for Botox :(
HELP!! My 13 yr old girl has internal snapping him in both hips ( tight iliopsoas)
She has had a X-ray ultrasound MRI and blood tests also a vitamin d test done luckily all normal, she was on hold for MRI with dye in cartridge joint to check for tears etc but consultant isn't going to do this now. She is on diazipam ibuprofen paracetamol a tens machine along with ice and heat and is on waiting list for Botox! She is immobile and in a lot of pain. I think it's that she would benefit from lengthening operation it's that server!!??!!??  same happend 9mth ago! Apparently is because she is growing and he dose not want to operate yet. Has any 1 had this??!!