Orthopedics Community
Ibuprofen and Bone Fusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Ibuprofen and Bone Fusion

I had arthrodesis on my big toe on Monday for hallux rigidus. Everything seems OK, but I have been taking ipuprofen (800 mg every 8 hours) as instructed by the surgeon.  Then I read that ibuprofen, especially in the early stages, interferes with bone fusion.  I have discontinued the ibuprofen, but am worried that the large doses for six days will cause problems with healing.  Is this a big problem?
Hi there!

Though anti-inflammatory medications may slow the healing process, these do not pose a major issue with healing and typically need to be taken only is required for pain. If the pain or discomfort is bearable, these are best avoided.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!