Orthopedics Community
Infections after knee surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Infections after knee surgery

I had a total knee replacement in October 08 and it was very successful.  The doctor discharged me completely after 2 months of rehab.  In January, I came down with blepharities, which is an eye infection.  I went to 2 different doctors trying to get rid of this but both gave me the same diagnosis and treatment (antibiotics and drops) with no results.  The last appointment the doctor actually stuck a pin in my blister, like sores that could be seen on the rims of my eyelids.  He suggested that I go to an eye surgeon to lance the other sores that are under my eyelid. Yeah, YUCK!

Meanwhile, I had gone to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned, again taking antibiotics per my knee doctor, and everything was fine.  Then 2 weeks ago a filling fell out.  I went back to the dentist and he said that my tooth had cracked in 3 places and had to pull the tooth. He said it was starting to effect the tooth next to it.  I have a full exam scheduled for next week.  

Lately my knee started to get sharp pains in it at night and is swelling more than usual.  Could these other infections be hurting my knee recovery?  Or maybe, it is the other way around and the knee is causing the infections.  Or am I just a worry wart with two different problems totally unrelated. Should I discuss this with my knee doctor?  The other doctors think they are not related or anything to worry about.   Any suggestions or comments would be helpful.