Orthopedics Community
"Inoperable" Rotator Cuff Tears & Rupture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

25 female, 125 lbs. 1 year later and I received the correct diagnosis! From impingement syndrome, bursitis, cervical degeneration and arthritis, winged scapula, and myofascial pain syndrome- all incorrect diagnosis- finally the cause of pain for the last 2 years- rt. shoulder MRI revealed 3 tears and 1 rupture.

The orthopedic explains that I am "inoperable" and referred me to pain management. He says it's "too much of a mess in there" and "surgery will not relieve my pain." I want a second opinion but my general physician won't refer me because "the orthos in the area don't like to step on one anothers toes."

I have knots that have formed in 2 dozen places- boy oh boy do they hurt- and they are difficult to massage because they feel like rocks! My entire trap. dorsi, and all along the right side of my spine, into my shoulder blade, collarbone, and rib is full of these knots and they seem to keep multiplying. I am in such pain. Sometimes I can;t sleep, can't eat. I dont want to be doped up on narcotics so I am trying to get by on ultram, which seems to barely take the edge off. I want my body back! I can't work out, can't roll around with my son... I miss painting! Even writing (I am a writer for a living while finishing my BA full time) which was once a joy, has become a tedious task.

I currently have medicaid. I left my husband while pregnant 4 years ago due to domestic violence (which is what caused the tears) I have a substantial savings and could afford to pay for surgery and I will have good health insurance in a year... I just don't think I can bare this pain that long. It already took me 12 months for a diagnosis, now I have to wait 6 mos. to even get into pain management b.c of my insurance, though I offered to pay. According to the Dr. those tears have been their for years creating lots of scar tissue build up in attempts to heal myself. I feel like this just keeps getting worse and I sit here helpless with no answers. The ortho is sending me to pain management for "myofascial pain" and admitted I have "messy tears." I didn't even know I had the rupture and how serious the tears were until my general doctor told me what she saw on the MRI. Now if I get insurance, it will be considered a "pre-existing" condition and I'll have to pay anyway...

Do you think a surgeon would be offended or fearful of legal repercussions if I offered to cover the 40% of the cost of surgery that I am aware nys medicaid refuses to pay? My general Dr.s nurse admitted to me that my insurance is why he won't operate.

I did some research and feel badly for doctors these days with lawsuits and poor insurance. There has to be a solution to this and I am desperately searching for some guidance.

All my gratitude.

All my gratitude.