Orthopedics Community
Is it too late for a cast?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Is it too late for a cast?

My husband broke his pinky finger I believe at the knuckle about 8 days ago. He really didnt think it was broken so he didnt go get an X-ray. My son has had a broken pinky before & it looks very similar to how my son's looked. My husband is being stubborn saying the break is 8 days out & there is nothing that can be done now. Is that true? Its causing him pain still & is still pretty swollen. He ices it & takes motrin but i dont think thats enough. Please advise!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Improper treatment of a fracture results in deformity of that bone while healing.
For complete proper cure of a fracture X-ray is essential and if positive, immobilization of that bone is required.
Cast is not required for middle finger and he can just use a spling for 4 weeks for complete recovery and it is a very simple procedure.
Please consult an orthopaedician immediately.
Take care!
Thanks for your responce! I got him an apt. with a Ortho. Dr. that specializes in hands today!  Somehow me telling him that his finger could turn out deformed changed his mind! : )