Orthopedics Community
Is my PCP's protocol unusual
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is my PCP's protocol unusual

For 3 months my PCP, an internist, has been seeing me for a cervical problem of no known origin that causes pins and needles and pain to radiate down my arms.  First it was the right arm and then it resolved as similar problems arose in the left arm.

The first month I was on flexeril and voltaren.  I was supposed to do neck exercises but I declined to do them without an MRI.

On my second visit, neurontin was prescribed and I was sent for physical therapy.  I told the doctor that I thought I should have an MRI before PT and he ignored the suffestion, but did so very politely.

3 weeks into PT, the therapist said he was going to see if my PCP could see me sooner than my shdeuled appointment a week and a half away.  The same day the therapist faxed my PCP a report suggesting the need for an MRI to rule out either DDD or a herniated disc.  My PCP got me in that afternoon.

At that time, my PCP said I had a choide of epidural steroid injections or surgery.  I elected to first go to pain management and am waiting to get in to see the doctor at the pain management clinic.  Meanwhile, my PCP has finallly sent me out for a cervical MRI and we are awaiting the radiology report.  Even without the report, I have a copy of the films and it appears that we will be talking about a rupture at C5-C6 that is right up against the cord.  C4-C5 is also pretty well into the spinal fluid but is not against the cord.  The axial at C5-C6 confirms the sagital. My reading of the films really isn't relevant to my question.

My question is this.  How could my PCP expect me to make a decision between pain care or surgery without the benefit of an MRI and possibly an EMG?  Would the better protocol have been to get the MRI and radiology report in order that I might make a more informed choice between ES injections and surgery.

Related Discussions
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Orthopedics Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Top Orthopedics Answerers
10389859_tn?1409925468
Blank
Foggy2
7721494_tn?1411517293
Blank
philnoir
Four Corners, CO