Orthopedics Community
Is my pain from L2 or L5-S1 or?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is my pain from L2 or L5-S1 or?

I had a bad whiplash type lifting injury 5/05.  10/05 XLIF L3-4 for spondyloliythesis.  5/06 found myelomacia at T11-12 emergency costotransversectomy.  10/07 to present severe pain returned similar to previous two years.  Pain is constant left side - sharp low back becomes burning pain that travels across left hip down outside left thigh, outside left calf; when bending forward - inside left thigh burning pain radiates from groin to knee.  Intermittent right sided pain at right low back across right hip and down outside right leg.  New MRI shows new herniation at L2 above fusion getting at the nerve as well as significant stenosis at L4-5-S1 getting at L5 nerve.  Since injury I have left side weak hip flexor that is slowly getting worse and reduced knee reflexes.  
Question:  with so many levels injured, is it more likely that the problem is L2 or L5?   Could the real culprit still be thoracic (I have residual flank pain and loss of abdominal muscle/s)?  What would be the best approach to make sure the problem is isolated to the right disc/nerve?  I'm getting very tired of tests (over last 2 1/2 years - 8 epidurals, 10 x-rays, 1 CT, 4 MRI's, too many PT's to remember).  Additionally, I am on celebrex,  lyrica,  Ultram ER, spare use of percocet.