Isotretinoin (Accutane- low dosages) and its effect on the epiphyseal plate.
Hello Doctors,

I've just been recently prescribed by my dermatologist Isotretinoin (accutane) and am on my 4th day of treatment. After  doing extensive research on how accutane affects growth, it really concerns me as I'm currently only 16 years and 8 months old and hence am still in the growing stage of my life. My dermatologist however has prescribed me a very low dosage of 10mg per day for 7 consecutive days, after which would be switching onto a 30mg PER WEEK dose. My body mass is currently 65kg and am significantly below the minimal dose of the suggested 0.5 mg/kg/day boundary. Will the dose of accutane I'm currently prescribed compromise the development and growth rate of my bones?

Thanks in advance.

Ky
Hi there!

Low doses of accutane for shot duration are not typically described to have severe side effects, though the dose may need to be adjusted for body weight. The side effects relate more to the cumulative dosage and a short course of treatment should not be detrimental.
Hope this information is helpful.

Take care!