Orthopedics Community
It Started in the Ball of My Foot ....Then

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

A shooting pain in the ball of my foot, causing limping and swelling. Next day, my foot was swollen more. Could not walk on it. Big toe was targeted for most of the pain. Hospital trip, misdiagnosed with Gout, on crutches. No tests. 2 days later, swollen even more, looks like a cartoon.I also feel some kind of pulling up the back of my calf. My feet feel numb, cold and prickly (asleep). 2nd toe is purple and my foot is dark red and cold. Hospital trip. Vascular tests. Blood tests, EKG, CT scan and a heart sonogram, possibly Tendonitis from overuse (though no diagnosis on my discharge papers, no work per 2 wks). All my test were fine, blood vessels good, Uric acid levels normal. My toe is no longer purple, foot is just slightly redder than the other. Still swollen and sore and using crutches. Feels like it's asleep always now. My 2nd toes constantly feels like a pressure is pushing the middle of it down (like it's bowing backwards). I was having throbbing pain at rest and every morning when I woke. Idk if its the bone or the tendon or what but following from my 2nd toe up my foot, there is a spot that has localized pain, like a painful bruise (like if you dropped a can of veggies on your foot yesterday). Also, along the inside of my leg, idk if it is a tendon or muscle but it's larger than my other leg and it's pretty darn sore to the touch. I was getting a funky kind of pain, for a few days, like when my pinky toe was fractured. That yucky 'one-of-a-kind cracked bone' pain. Not from when it initially cracks, the one you keep feeling when you apply pressure to it while it's healing (accidentally, of coarse). I think maybe a stress fracture. It has been 2 weeks now, I keep it elevated and do not use it. The swelling is a lot better, though still existent. Increased, persistent prickly feeling. The bowing 2nd toe is also the 3rd now, all the time. Please advise.
Update: a coworker had the same thing happen to her last night. She  received an xray and her foot was fractured.
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include infections, inflammations, fractures, dislocations, injuries to ligaments/ tendons, arthritis, degeneration, nerve impingement, vascular causes etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician. After a definite cause is identified, it can be managed accordingly. Meanwhile you could try using ice-packs/ warm compresses and some tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS and see if these seem to help.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!