Orthopedics Community
Jammed Pinky Now Bent

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Jammed Pinky Now Bent

I jammed my left (non-dominant) pinky finger and now the top of the finger is bent down towards my palm (from the top knuckle).  A little discomfort in palm and top of hand.  The bent portion above the top knuckle refuses to go back into place.  Could it be broken?  If jammed and I splint it, will it correct itself eventually?  Don't want to spend 3 hrs in the ER and end up with a splint I can do from home.  Thanks.
It sounds like this may be what you have going on...check out this link and see if it helps you...  http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00018
Hi there!

This can be caused by fracture/ dislocation of the phalyngeal joint or tendon injury. While most cases are treated with splintage, surgery is advised for severe damage. Even it is a minor fracture; a splint is best applied by a doctor after correcting for alignment abnormalities. It is hence advised to visit the ER to rule out severe injuries and for appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!