Orthopedics Community
Jaw pain, inability to open mouth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Jaw pain, inability to open mouth

Dear Medhelp,

I have been having jaw pain for the last month now. I am unable to open my mouth more than a certain extend, not only because the pain is terrible, but also because it justs doesn't open. The jaw pain is coupled with ear pain and sometimes I feel pain when I am chewing also.
I visited a dentist who reached the conclusion (after taking an xray) that my wisdom tooth MAY be the reason of all this, because it has an abnormal direction, pushing the other teeth.
Another dentist told me that since my wisdom tooth has not surfaced yet (it is only visible on the xray) he thinks it is unlikely that the wisdom tooth is related to the jaw pain.
However, my dentist scheduled me a surgery in a week from now, to remove the wisdom tooth and see whether my condition improves.
My worry is that, from what I have read on the internet, there is a possibility that I have Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ) BUT none of the doctors has mentioned this to me!!  If we assume that I have TMJ, is there a chance that if I remove the wisdom tooth, my condition will get worse?? Should I postpone the surgery? do you think I may have TMJ?

Thank you very much in advance, your advice will be greatly appreciated!