Orthopedics Community
KNEE PROBLEM

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

KNEE PROBLEM

I am 46 years old and live a very active lifestyle.  I fell down in June 2011 while doing jumping jacks in a ditch.  I heard a pop was unable to hold any weight on my knee but felt no pain.  I was rushed to the ER and they completed a MRI and stated that I had Torn ACL.  Once I reported to my Ortho they completed an X-Ray and encouraged me to attend physical therapy which I did for 6 mos. Occassionaly I have been having knee swelling and pain. I relocated to another state and met with another Ortho doc who completed a KT- 1000.  He was ready to complete ACL repair but was unable to due to illness.  He referred me to another Ortho who completed another MRI on me and said that he is unable to see a torn ACL.  He then referred me back to physical therapy to focus on straightening my knee. The PT has helped with my hamstring flexibility however I am in extreme pain in the front of my knee and swelling in the knee and I am now having swelling in my foot as well.  At the end of the work day I have "flappy" foot!!!  It has been over a year and I am EXTREMELY frustrated with this situation and would love to get some guidance. What do I do?  Where can I go next?
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment on the situation. The symptoms could be due to the ACL tear or due to other causes such as chondromalacia, inflammations, arthritis, bursitis, tendonitis, nerve impingement/ compression, injuries to the internal knee ligaments/ menisci etc. I would suggest seeking a second opinion with another orthopedician for suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this helps.

Take care!