Orthopedics Community
Knee Bump

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Knee Bump

Hey guys,

I got a question about a bump on my knee that just popped up 2 days ago. I am 26 years old. I've been working out 5 days a week for the past 4-5 months. Running is a big part of my work out. So 2 days ago after a 30 minute run/walk on the treadmill, I noticed a bump on my left knee (the run went fine, with no accidents, just happen to notice my knee). The bump is on the outside and almost below the knee. There is absolutely no pain, or discomfort, and I can run and walk fine with no limp. The bump is almost like a bone or a ligament, is hard in texture and does not give way when felt. Although now that I am aware of the bump, I can almost feel it?! Also since I noticed it, it has not changed.

Here are some picutres: http://imgur.com/a/r5uBd

What do you think this could be?

Thanks!
Hi there!

This is a normal prominence due to the underlying head/ styloid process of the fibula and the lateral tibial condyle (bones in the lower leg); which may be better defined on some individuals. This should not be anything to worry about and you can continue your activities as normal.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Thanks for answering Doctor! The only thing I am worried about is that my other knee does not have this bump and that I am almost certain this bump was not there before. If it was there, it was not as prominent.
Hi again!

Well, if there are no other symptoms present like pain or discomfort in moving the knee and the swelling is hard and non-mobile; I would suggest not bothering about it. The two bony points may not be equally prominent on either knee and are best appreciated by folding the knee back and slightly outward. If you still feel a major difference between the two knees, you might consider an evaluation by a primary care physician initially probably with an x-ray to see if that shows anything abnormal, like a bony outgrowth and depending on the situation you may consider seeing an orthopedician or leave it as such.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
I looked over my knee again and it appears as the prominence you are talking about is actually a little in front and right below this bump. Folding the knee and moving it outwards revealed what you are talking about... and I do have those bone protrusions on both knees, both somewhat similar. ... Now this bump is very close to the protrusion you are talking about. After feeling it some more I realize now that it is actually somewhat softer than bone. Just a little bit. I almost want to say it's a ligament. Could it be a inflamed ligament or tendon? Or something like a baker's cyst, fluid filled cyst? I am also fairly certain that this appeared very recently. I noticed it 2 days ago while doing some leg exercises at the gym, and since I do them every few days I would have noticed it right away.

Thanks again for your help!!