Knee Ligament/Meniscus injures
RIGHT KNEE PROBLEMS:-
I have undergone ACL reconstruction surgery of right knee on 21st May,2010. Even after my surgery I feel pain when I bend my knee or when I walk. The pain is distributed over the entire crossection of the knee. But recently on 12th feb,2012 my right knee has started paining again. I am not able to walk. Even if I try to walk, I feel instability. My leg becomes stiff when I keep it straight for around 30 min. & when I try to bend it feel some sounds coming out of my knee + feeling of crushing. My MRI shows the following symptoms:-
MR IMAGING REVEALS SMALL JOINT EFFUSION WITH EARLY PATELLO-FEMORAL AND TIBIO-FEMORAL COMPARTMENT OSTEO-ARTHRITIS WITH GRADE 2 MYXOID DEGENERATION POSTERIOR HORN MEDIAL MENISCUS AND GGRADE 1 STRAIN MEDIAL COLLATERAL LIGAMENT.
RECONSTRUCTED ACL(last year in may,2010) IS NORMAL IN SIGNAL INTENSITY.
But I feel considerable joint instability & according to doctor I have MCL laxity(probably grade-2 tear)
Also it pains while I am sitting on the bed OR when I tilt my leg sideways. I have already taken rest for about one month for MCL to heal but there is no major improvement even now.
Should I go for surgery? What can be its consequences? Would it be succesful? What should be the doctor's profile for treatment of such injuries( like MCL specialists)? What should I do with my meniscus tear? What can be done for osteo-arthritis?
Please help & I am only 20 years old & don't want to spoil my entire life.
Your MCL will heal on its own but just needs time. You should try physical therapy. Chances are you aren't fully healed from your ACL. The meniscus can be repaired or removed depending on the location of the tear. This is an easy, routine surgery and recovery is short in otherwise healthy knees. With your history I'm not sure how long it would take, but the rehab for the mensicus tear would help your MCL and ACL as well. See a sports medicine or orthopedic doctor! Ask them if they think trying physical therapy would first would be a good idea or surgery and then rehab. Good luck!
As far as the meniscus is concerned, you should probably get your knee scoped for that.  For the MCL, a hinged knee brace usually does the trick in regards to healing, along with physical therapy.  Make sure your quads are strong too!