Orthopedics Community
Knee Problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Knee Problems

I have a small oblique undersurface tear involving the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus in my right knee. I also have ganglion cyst at the lateral gastrocnemius location which measures almost 5 cm.

Was just curious if others had experience with having a cyst removed at that location. I have been to 4 orthopedics already and none feel comfortable removing the cyst because it is near a major artery and the peroneal nerve. They have all agreed it needs to be removed, but just keep referring me to another surgeon.

I have been told it is pretty rare to have a cyst at that location, and have not been able to find much online about cysts in that location. The meniscus does not worry me at all because I have already torn that before and know it is a simple surgery. However, the cyst removal seems to be a huge surgery, but as I said above, can't find anybody to do it.
Ganglion cyst is a small sac like structure containing clear fluid which grows at top of the joint or over a tendon.
What treatments have you tried till date?
Have you tried aspiration of cyst?
If you have aspirated once there are chances of re-occurring. There are chances of resolving up to 85 % after thrice aspiration.
Surgery is indicated only if continues to be annoying and comes in our way of daily routine.
There are at least 13 bursas around knee joint where cyst can grow.
Surgical therapy by excision of the mass is the mainstay of treatment for most symptomatic cysts that are not bursal in nature and that have not responded to nonsurgical treatment.
The treatment objective should be to relieve pain and improve functions of the extremity by addressing the knee cyst. Treating the underlying cause of the knee cyst is the key, and appropriate arthroscopic treatment of meniscal tears etc should be contemplated.
I think the best surgeon should take a call and go ahead and operate it knowing fully the complications associated with it.
Keep me informed.
Bye.
An attempt was made to aspirate it, but the lining was to thick to force it to rupture and the fluid was too thick to remove with a syringe. From what I have been told, these cysts are normally on the inside of the knee or near the meniscus. Mind is directly behind the lateral side of my knee, right next to the peroneal nerve.

I have an appointment with the Penn State University orthopedics at the end of February....since they are the best of the best, I am hoping they can remove it. Have had the cyst since August, and it causes so much pain that I can't even drive.