Orthopedics Community
Knee Replacement Pain - lower leg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Knee Replacement Pain - lower leg

I am 79 years old in good health - I had my left knee replaced Aug 8, 2011.  Since that time I have had professional PT at least 3 times a week.  From the start the PT folks stated that laying on my back the back of my replaced knee must be flat to the surface in am lying on - zero degree.  From time to time after a PT workout I obtained 2 to 3 degree off flat. From the day of surgery I have had a soreness along the front of the lower leg - about half way from the foot to the knee.  About 3 weeks ago a pain began developing along the front of the lower leg after sleeping for about 2 hours.  The pain can be very sever - 8 on a 1 to 10 scale. If I ice it the pain will go away for a while. I have been wearing compression socks all day long. Since surgery both of my legs and ankles have been swollen. I saw my regular doctor and he put me on medicine to reduce fluid. He did blood test to make sure swelling not from heart, liver or kidney problem.  Those test came back negative.  MY swelling is not limited to both feet.  Last Friday I told the PT guy about the sever pain in the lower leg.  They then treated a nerve which runs along front of the lower leg.  Immediately after that treatment my leg was flot on the deck when lying on my back.  I have had 2 treatment on the nerve and both helped - but the sever pain on on the front of the lower leg continues each night.  Should I see another doctor?  Could the treatment i'm now getting be correct but just takes more time to be effective?

Scot5817
Hi there!

I would agree with your doctor that with swelling in both ankles/ legs, heart, liver, kidney issues would need to be ruled out first before considering other diagnoses. I would assume that you have not had previous heart issues since the blood tests for this may not be as reliable, unless the condition is very severe. Also, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause(s) for the leg pain and the swelling. Since the pain occurred recently i.e. weeks after the replacement, it may require an evaluation to check for development of other possibilities like hardware issues, infections, inflammations, degenerations, neurological issues etc. You may consider seeing an orthopedician for this. For the swelling I would suggest an evaluation by an internist for rarer causes like vasculitis, lymphatic/ vascular obstruction, autoimmune issues, hormonal/ endocrinal abnormalities etc. After a cause is diagnosed, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!