Knee Swelling- No pain?
One day I woke up and my left knee was swollen (twice the size as my right, yet I had no pain). I took ibuprofen and took it easy for a while and within a 4-5 days 99% swelling went away. Again no pain durin the whole time. Then I proceeded to do some light exercises on the treadmill and stairs over a 3day period and all of a sudden I felt and HEARD click sounds out of my left knee. Again, NO pain associated with it. A little bit of swelling has come back - very little, but the sound is clicking. Again , NO PAIN. And of course I have no health insurance. Please advise? Thank you! Monica
Hi!
Generally sudden onset knee swelling is due to injury to menisci or due to inflammation of the bursa or a soft cushion on the joint. Initially there may be no pain. However, you must not strain the knee by exercising. Ideally you should see a doctor, but since you do not have insurance try this: Give the leg complete rest. Apply ice pack 2-3 times a day for 15-20 minutes. Take an over the counter anti-inflammatory. Use leg for only daily activities for a week or two. Resume exercises after a month. If the swelling returns or the joint becomes painful, please consult a doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.