Orthopedics Community
Knee Twist

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Knee Twist

About four weeks ago, i twisted my right knee inwards while playing football. i felt as if my whole knee dislocated but i didnt hear any pop sound or anythng. Really painful for like 5 min but swelled up later. Went to doc, put ice pack and it all seemed ok.
Its 4th week now...all seems okk except its still little swollen and feels little different and the leg feels as if it doesnt have enough power.
I can run slowly, bike, clim stairs with no problems except its uncomfortable.
My physio thinks this is fine and i need to strengthen my muscle and i didnt have any tear or anything.

2 days ago, i decided to kick a punching bag, with my right leg, when i kick, its all good. I was kicking with my left leg and the same problem happened again but not that much. The pain is more on the outer side of the knee, the place where the femur joints meet the main joint.

What do you guys think?? Is this ok. Do you think  i would need to see a specilist? Can it be true that when it first happened, i didnt break any ligament or any meniscus damage?
I really want to get back in football so even if i need a surgery, i would get it done asap rather than later.

thanks guys.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would suggest you to rule out ligament tears.

Go for an MRI of the affected knee and follow up with an orthopedician.

Continue ice packs and take intermittent NSAIDs till then and also do not exert on the injured knee till properly diagnosed. No major weight bearing, day to day activities and walking can be done.

Take care!

thanks for the information.

Sorry but now i am totally confused since my physio said that i should workout my legs and strengthen the muscles around it. Unfortunately in New zealand we cant go and have a MRI or see a physion without any referrels and my physio thinks i dont need it really.
Is there any reason why i shouldnt do any weight bearing - because we do many leg exercises with weights etc.