Knee cap grinding sound after injury

I have recently injured my knee with a frontal hit to the knee cap against a door. I had little pain and only a slight swelling the next day, but nothing too noticeable. However, every time I bend my leg now, I can hear (and feel) a soft grinding sound. I have had XRAY's done but everything was O.K.. Could this mean that I may have caused some damage to the knee cap, like the cartilage under it?

I have had a mosaicplasty done on this same knee before.

Thank you for your time.
Hi!
Popping or crunching sound in knee can be due to arthritis (it can be rheumatoid arthritis too). It can also be due to medial or lateral meniscus injury or patellar injury (caused by active sports, dancing, exercising or accidental). Another possibility is Chondromalacia patella in which the knee cap keeps rubbing against the underlying cartilage of femur (corrected by braces, taping, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, physiotherapy or surgery). This is a likely causein your case, though a meniscal injury is also a possibility given the past history of meniscoplasty. Having said this, at times the noise has no pathology behind it. This needs an evaluation by either an orthopedics specialist or by a sports injury specialist. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you for your advice Dr. Kokil Mathur. I'll make sure to be evaluated by an orthopaedics specialist.

Once again, thank you.
Take care.