Orthopedics Community
Knee injury, what is it?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Knee injury, what is it?

So on Friday night I was playing hockey and I got hit, my left knee got twisted up and I heard a pop and it felt like something got displaced, and got back into place. I've had problems with my right knee with patellar subluxiation, so I know what that feels like. This most definitely did not feel like that. There was some pain, but not a lot. I got up off the ice and skated off (I couldn't put much weight on it, so it was kind of a push and glide kind of thing). Anyways got off and it's now Sunday night and I haven't gone in yet, was planning on going in tomorrow. There was immediate swelling, although not a lot. I have been walking around on it with a good limp since mid day Saturday. It is very unstable though. I when I walk in a straight line it's ok, not normal but ok. But if I make a turn (not even sharp just like walking in a circle) I feel like it will give out. In fact I was walking around a corner and it did give out towards the inside of the knee. I have had problems with range of motion, although I think it is due to swelling. Swelling by the way has come up quite a bit today. I've been reading up on acl injuries, and I honestly think that's what it sounds like, but also the giving way to the inside leads me to think maybe I damages my mcl as well. My dad also said that my meniscus could be damaged so now of course I am very worried about a blown knee. When you blow out your knee is there always a lot of pain? I have a pretty high pain threshold, and I would say pain was a 5 or 6 out of 10. I just want to know what to expect when I go in to have it looked at. Is there good chance based on my symptoms of having a blown knee? Thanks for reading and if you choose to do so, replying. I appreciate it.  
Hi, and sorry you hurt your knee. I just hurt mine too. I don't know for sure but it may be some time of tear or injury to the meniscus. But I am not a doctor. Pain can be really bad in the knee even if you don't have major damage. I would see a ortho doctor and get an MRI of it to be sure. I hope it isn't serious. I just read that one of the symptoms of a meniscus tear is when the knee gives out and also if it hurts to straighten the knee.
mkh9