Orthopedics Community
Knee pain above knee cap

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Knee pain above knee cap

Hello, the last few months, ive had pain above my knee cap, if i press on the muscle or tendor that seems to attach to the top of the knee cap, it is quite sore right where it connects to the knee cap, and when walking its ok, but stairs it really is sore, sitting down and getting up, kneeling. Ive tried applying heat to it, then stretching, then applying ice going for walks, stretching, seems to give temporary releif. Seems when i put any kind of weight on it its really sore, my knees used to crack and pop alot when i was younger, i was a catcher in baseball for many years, no doubt its from that, i am only 25. The cracking doesn't happen anymore, but now they are really sore, and the last few weeks they have gotten progressivly worse. Any ideas of suggestions as to what this could be? causes, remedies? Ive been applying Lakota joint topical pain releif today, and the "icy hot" cream before, seems to releive it a little. Sometimes at night it will get extremely sore to the point i cant move my knee at all.

Any suggestions?

G
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Most probably it is tendonitis, infection of tendon. Visit an orthopaedician and start your tretment, as it is a nagging pain and as you are suggesting the  position, muscles taper into a tendon and are inserted into the knee joint, so any irrritation, infection causes Tendonitis.
Take care
It will be 2 weeks before i can get in to see my doctor, any recommendations to some home therapy?

Greg

i have severe knee pain superiorly and superiorly laterally to the patella. i cant do a straight leg raise or bend the knee with out excruciating pain and lots of effort if i can. I had torn my quad tendon about 6 years ago and it seems to have the same symptoms except its hard in the areas of pain instead of feeling nothing there, it is also very sensitive to normal touch, plus i can bear weight on it, but is very sore to do
I have pain right above my kneecap, but when I sit it does not hurt to be bent, and when I straitghten it out it feels like it pulls at my kneecap. It is my left knee and when I go up or down stairs it hurts. I have applied heat and ice but it does not appear to be going away. There is a little pain in the back also.  I have had my right knee xrayed and have had an MRI and have a torn lateral and medial miscus that needs to be repaired as well as a baker cyst on the back. My right knee started out of the blue and I think it happened when I stepped in a small ditch from edging of the lawn at work. Could I have caused the left knee to be overworked? I have had 2 cortisone shots in the right since last March and they do help. I am 61 (almost 62) and do need to lose weight and think this would help aleviate some stree on the joints. What do you recommend until I get treatment?

I have googled my knee pain and it is exactly the same as what you've described here!
I was wondering what happened and what was wrong with your knee in the end?
Almost 3 years ago I fell onto a cement floor onto my left knee. I can still walk, bend, run, etc but there is a place at the top of my patella that is still swollen and is sore and at times aches or has mild pain. Now, there is also occasionally pain in the inside (right) of the knee where it bends. I didn't have insurance at the time and never had it checked. I won't take medication to simply reduce swelling or manage pain since I've done well without it this long. Is there some reason I should be concerned or see a doctor and if so, what kind of doctor? Obviously a family doctor wouldn't have the answers.

Thank you!