Orthopedics Community
Knee pain five years after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Knee pain five years after surgery

I had a complete knee reconstruction in 2003. I now have two titanium plates and I don't know how many screws inserted throughout my knee area. I went through PT for three months after the surgery. I have been walking with a slight limp ever since, no big deal. I have had pain over the years and for the first two I was on Vicodin for it, I quit taking it due to the possibility of a habit forming. Recently I had a cyst in my knee but the ER just sent me home prescribing an opiate for me which I did not take. I did take the Percocet which helped with the back pain I was having but did nothing for the knee pain from the cyst or otherwise. I have told various doctors over the years about the pain I'm in daily, some of it is debilitating. From what I have been told everything is "fine" and "normal" and has "settled perfect." If this is true then why am I in so much pain and what in the heck can I do about it? I am young, 25, and attempting to live a regularly active life....which is NOT possible with what I go through daily.
     Thanks for writing in. Patients do have occasional pain after total knee replacement even if their total knees are healed flawlessly. Pain in the knee after total knee replacement can occur due to knee infection or loosening, resurfaced patella, with effusion in the joint occuring due to worn out polyethylene components, due to damage to the vessels and nerves around the knee etc.
In case of infection antibiotics would help. In case of worn out polyethylene components may be reoperation could be considered.
Also you mentioned that a cyst is present in the knee area, this could have been the cause of pain in the knee. Medications like NSAIDS could cause damage to the knee on using over a long period of time.
Check with this link for detailed information about the after effects of total knee replacement.
Take care.

I also had baker's cyst behind the knew, which caused lot of pain. I was practicaly disabled and was not able to straighten my leg. I was limping all the time and was affraid to start walking in the morning.
Until, I started using bursitis patches. In one application only they took all the water out of the knew through the skin and pain was almost completely gone. I was able to walk again without pain. I still repeat the application from time to time if I feel my knee is getting stiff.
Patches are made by Sydney doctor and are being patented at the moment.
I think they also might help you with the cyst pain. These cysts can be debilitating.
Type Bursitis patches on the Google and you should get his site.
Hope this might help you.
I had two knee replacements, both was done in 2012.  My surgeon that performed both knee replacement, looks at the x ray and say, I see nothing wrong.  This is not an answer to a person in pain almost 2 years later and the pain still persist.  I read that I need to see a revision surgeon.  I am planning to do that after I go to the pain clinic to see what they suggest.  I knew my arrogant perfectionist surgeon would think maybe I am faking the pain.  He cant stand to see his work being challenge, but it's not about him when I am in pain.  I don't give a damn at this point what he thinks..I just want the pain to stop now.  Still trying to figure out why I am in so much pain.  He just order a knee brace for one leg...what about my other leg??? ridicules!  Fed up!
When, I listen to your story, it sounds like me. I been in severe pain too, after a knee replacement in 2008. the doctor told me it's nerve damage. but I went to another doctor and he told me I need a replacement my bones are chipping. its bad when  you can't believe doctors. I hope you find relived