Orthopedics Community
Knee pain/problems. plz

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Knee pain/problems. plz

Iam a 16yrs old. and i play soccer and run all the time. I've notice when i go down the stairs under my right knee cap hurts. and the back of my knee hurts. or if i sit like indian style on the floor or if my knee is bent for more then like 5 minutes. it hurts bad to straighten it or to walk. yesterday i was sitting indian style and stood up and went to run and fell because of my knee. any suggestions? should i go to the doctor? anyone?
     Thanks for writing in. Pain in the knee cap usually refers to injury or under develpoment of patella. Conditions causing this could be patellar bursitis, chodromalacia, patellar and quadriceps tendon rupture, fracture of the patella, subluxation and dislocation of patella.
In your case, it is injury due to over use. It could most likely be prepatellar bursitis, which causes pain during movement, limited movement and swelling. Symptoms of prepatellar bursitis are usually aggravated by kneeling, and relieve when sitting still. It could also be patellar tendonitis, which manifests with pain during activities mainly kneeling.
Diagnosis can be made with the help of physical examination, history and x-rays. Rest, antiinflammatory drugs, ice packs, braces include in treatment.
Consult a orthopaedician for further assistance.
Best.