Orthopedics Community
Knee pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Knee pain

Symptoms: I have had this knee pain come and go. When I apply pressure to my knee for instance when I am in a one leg out one leg back kneeling stance, there is pain on the knee.  The location of the pain is more prounounced to upper to central quadrant of the knee on the medial side.  Grinding and popping associated with this.  I notice doing a quadricep stretch it is tender doing it.  My knee does not lock, so I can walk (and run but definitely would feel pain) but as far as the knee working and being stable it is fine.

Further info:
I have not kept up with my flexibility and strength training program.  I have been very active for the past few months though and I think my knee was not able to keep up with the amount of activity.

History:  My first incident that I can recall and I think is the stem of the knee problem is that I was playing flag football and I landed directly on my knee this was over 5 years ago.  I can't recall the severity of pain afterward but not enough for me to go see a Doctor, no swelling.  

I have had this knee checked out a couple years ago and the doctor said it was a knee tracking issue but I forgot to mention the flag football incident.

Help:
I understand you would rather me see a doctor but if you can estimate what is going on I would please appreciate it.  Please tell me what I can do nonsurgically.

Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your discomfort/ pain. Likely possibilities that may need to be considered chondromalacia, tendonitis, bursitis, fractures, patellar dislocation, injuries to the internal knee ligaments/ menisci, infections/ inflammations, arthritis, cyst formation, growths etc. I would suggest consulting an orthopedician for an evaluation and appropriate management. Meanwhile you may try resting the knee with some OTC NSAIDS to relieve the pain.
Hope this helps.

Take care!