Orthopedics Community
Knee problem - MRI translation please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Knee problem - MRI translation please

Just had an MRI and it states that I have a remote partial thickness tear of the
anterior cruciate ligament with a horizontal orientation to the remodelled
ligament fibres. There is also some cartilage wear and The medial collateral ligament is scar remodelled at the femur. The fibular
collateral ligament is hyperintense at the femoral origin. The biceps femoris
insertion is maintained. The popliteo-fibular ligament is attenuated. The
popliteus tendon is intact. The iliotibial band is preserved.
There is mild intrasubstance degeneration of the body segment of the medial
meniscus but no medial meniscal tear is seen. The lateral meniscus is intact.
There is attenuation of the inferior fascicle of the lateral meniscus. I have no idea how to read this report - does it sound like a major problem or relatively minor? I need to make a decision very soon about taking part in a 50km walk next year (before I see my doctor again next week) - can you help translate please?
Hi!
The main problem is partial tear of anterior cruciate ligament. Initially a conservative approach to treatment is initiated. This involves rest, application of ice and elevation of the injured limb. With time inflammation subsides and the pain lessens. Then if the knee is actively used, or through physiotherapy, the muscles around the knee joint strengthen and lend support given by the meniscus. Generally this approach to treatment takes care of the symptoms. Surgery is only thought of if these conservative methods fail.
The other problem is degenerative changes. These are also managed conservatively as mentioned above. Please consult your doctor regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.